• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need advice on 17 year old moving out

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kimmigrl

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Missouri. My daughter has a friend who will be 17 this month and is wanting to move out of her parents house. Her parents do not know about this and she is wanting to move in with me. Can I get in trouble if I let her move in with me without her parents permission? I appreciate all the replies I have gotten on this question. No I would not want my daughter to pull this stunt on me but I also know this girl is determined to do this. So in my defense I would like to say I would rather she would be in my home where I know she is safe, then God knows where. I have talked to her about this and what she is getting herself into if she does this and have advised her to talk to her school counselor about her problems at home and told her today I would contact the juvenile judge in this county about what she can legally do. Thanks Again!

Last edited:

HomeGuru

kimmigrl said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Missouri. My daughter has a friend who will be 17 this month and is wanting to move out of her parents house. Her parents do not know about this and she is wanting to move in with me. Can I get in trouble if I let her move in with me without her parents permission?

**A: of course you can. Use your common sense.

T

titansfan

dont lewt 17 yr old move in or you could get in trouble with the law

its called harboring a runaway.her parents are responsible for her untill shes 18, and she cant move anywhere without their permission untill then, period, end of story.

HomeGuru

titansfan said:
its called harboring a runaway.her parents are responsible for her untill shes 18, and she cant move anywhere without their permission untill then, period, end of story.

**A: there was even a case similar where the FBI got involved and claimed kidnapping although the child was not abducted.

Happy Trails

Interfering with parental custody..... Contributing to the delinquency of a minor.....

Until she is an ADULT, her parents have say in what she does.

T

titansfan

dont let this girl move in with you

and that would be a felony, i believe. so if i were this poster, id strongly advise her to discourage this young lady from moving in without her parents permission, or she could get into a lot of trouble.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
kimmigrl said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Missouri. My daughter has a friend who will be 17 this month and is wanting to move out of her parents house. Her parents do not know about this and she is wanting to move in with me. Can I get in trouble if I let her move in with me without her parents permission?
So.... you'd be okay with it if your daughter pulled this stunt?

A

azmother3

Contact the parents of this child they need to intervine if you feel that you cant contact your CPS/DCF office

HomeGuru

azmother3 said:
Contact the parents of this child they need to intervine if you feel that you cant contact your CPS/DCF office

**A: good response. By the way, the word is intervene. Intervine is what grape trees do.

seedpuppy

Okay I don't know how it is in Missouri but I do know that in the state of SC great place :rolleyes: any ways 17 year olds are allowed to move out on there own as long as they can support themselves but can't be kicked out till 18........any ways if its not like this there talk to her about emanicpation which is the same process proving she can support herself and I think alot of other things but as long as she can do this she's good to go.......that is if Missouri has emanicpation laws if not well She needs to talk to her rents......and well sometimes they'll let there child move out........

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">