• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need advice on adaption....please!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tracivalenick

I left my abusive partner (never married him) going on 7 years ago, in Texas. I moved to Colorado. He has never attempted to contact us or ask after my daughter. I never wanted child support because I didn't want him to have visitation rights. As I said, he tried to kill me several times, and my daughter had nightmares for years about him. (She has adjusted very well with lots of great support and role models!) In the meantime, I have met a wonderful man. We want to get married, and he wants to adopt my daughter. He is divorced with 3 children that he pays child support to, and we have visitation every other weekend,etc. (We both get along well with his ex.) My question is, to adopt my daughter, he would not have to release his own parental rights, would he? And second, wouldn't my daughter's biological father most likely considered unfit due to his lack of contacting us? (He knows where we are and my phone numbers.) He has a long list of criminal offenses, assaults and drug charges, and friends tell me he is currently wanted...he skipped bail on a felony charge. This charge would be his '3rd strike' chare. FYI, my record is clean, and so is my current boyfriend. I manage apartments full time, and he is a government employee. What am I looking at? By the way, this is a wonderful service! Although we both work full time, we are supporting 4 children between us and we are both in college trying to finish our degrees and provide a stronger future for our children. Please give me good news!!! You can respond here or e-mail me at [email protected] Thank-you so very much for your help!!!

Sincerely,
Traci Valenick

S

sandcv

Sounds like your chances are excellent, but I would consult an attorney just to be on the safe side. I'm not sure what the laws are specific to your state, but I believe most states go by one year of no contact/support to prove abandonment. There may also be laws pertaining to felons as well, I would check with an attorney.

MySonsMom

First, it would be wise to get married first. Then get an attorney for the adoption. If the Father doesn't willingly sign over the rights, then you have to prove why the adoption would be in the childs best interest. (very easy since the Father has not been in the childs life) If the Father puts up a fight, all you have to do is mention child support, let him know that he is responsible for future support AND back support that he has not been paying. Most likely, the thousand dollar amount that he will owe you most likely will send him right to those papers and asking where he needs to sign. Let him know too that if he allows the adoption, you will not go after him for back support. Your boyfriend will NOT have to surender any rights to his biological children. Good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">