• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Advice on how to get full custody of my little sister

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zan57

I live in San Jose, Ca. and I needed some advise on how about to get full custody of my little sister. She has been living with me since Aug. of this year because she was doing very bad in school where she was living at the time. She was living in Tracy on her own bouncing back and forth from house to house while my mom left her there because my little sister didn't want to leave her friends. So my mother left her there while she moved up towards Reno.

So anyways she wasn't going to school and it was getting to the point that she was going to get picked up by the police to be taken to school. So I told my mother that I would take her in and take care of her as long as she helped with her. So we agreed on this verbal. See that is where I messed up it was a verbal that she would help out.

My mother got me all the correct paper work so I can make dessions for my little sister but I don't have guardianship of her. Now my little sister has been living with my since Aug of this year and she is doing wonderful in school, but my mom or my sisters dad don't want to help.

What can I do I need them to help and this was something that was agreed apon verbally. I want to help my little sister out and I don't want her bouncing back and forth in between house's like she will do if I tell her to go live with my mom again. I want to get full custody of her and take my mom and her dad to court to help out with her. I think that this is only fair they created her so they should help. I was only charging them 400 a month so that would of been 200 each from them. I believe that was more then fair on my end.

Also keep in mind my sister dad has not been in her life for 16 years now and now he popped up cause we tracked him down. Someone please give me advise.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
File in court for custody. Be aware that unless you prove both parents legally unfit or they both agree you will not get custody.

Zan57

It's easy to prove that my mother is cause she did the same thing to me and now it's moving on with my little sister. Her father on the other hand has another family and he doesn't want them to know about my little sister. His words were he wants to keep it hush hush.

Thanks, for the advise though that is what I thought that I needed to do but wasn't so sure if the same went for a family member. I should just go down to the family court correct?

Silverplum

It's easy to prove that my mother is cause she did the same thing to me and now it's moving on with my little sister. Her father on the other hand has another family and he doesn't want them to know about my little sister. His words were he wants to keep it hush hush.

Thanks, for the advise though that is what I thought that I needed to do but wasn't so sure if the same went for a family member. I should just go down to the family court correct?
Start here:
http://www.sccsuperiorcourt.org/family/default.htm

Last edited:

Zan57

I went to the family court on my lunch and they sent me to this one place. So I can go and speak to a lawyer and get guardian ship of her first then I can go from there about getting support.

Thanks Silverplum I will look at the link. Thanks for all the help.

cyjeff

Sis' dad, by the way, doesn't get to choose whether or not he supports his child because it embarrasses him to do so.

Silverplum

I went to the family court on my lunch and they sent me to this one place. So I can go and speak to a lawyer and get guardian ship of her first then I can go from there about getting support.

Thanks Silverplum I will look at the link. Thanks for all the help.
You're totally welcome. :)

The link was screwy for some odd reason -- I've fixed it now. Hope you didn't go off on a goose chase. It's Superior Court for Santa Clara County...even if the link is still screwy, you can google that. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">