• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need advice on obtaining visitations in court.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

BonusMom

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? AR, kids are in IL

My husband has two children that reside in Illinois, we reside in Arkansas. There is no court ordered visitations between their mother and he, they have always tried to work it out on our own in the past. Since his move down here (8 years ago) it has grown increasingly difficult to impossible get the children for visits (who are 9 and 12 now). We had hoped we wouldn't have to go to court with this but it appears it is our only recourse. Both of the kids want to come see us and she says either no or only for 1 week, which would mean my husband would have no time with them as he work long hours during weekdays, weekends is his best time together with them.

I do not feel that we can afford a lawyer to do this and would like some advice on how to go about taking her to court for court ordered visitation. We may have to find a way to get a lawyer seeing as we live in seperate states. The most she ever allows them to visit is for 2 weeks in the summer and that is IF she hasn't filled up their summer with anything and everything she can think of to keep them form coming. She is very bitter and manipulative and plays guilt trips on the kids. When we visit up there she has no problem letting us see them, but she doesn't like to let them come here, even though they want to. My oldest had their trip here all planned out as for dates etc this year and she simply said no, they had too much other things to do (for example football practice takes priority over visits because that is her social outlet).

Can anyone give me advice on what steps we should take first? Should I go to the Arkansas Human Services to get guidance? Should I try to hire a lawyer? How often would we have to travel up there during the court process if we represented ourselves? All we want is to be able to have the kids for a good portion of the summer without having to fight with their mother over it and nearly always be told no in the end.

Has anyone been through something similar that can give me advice as to how to prepare for this battle (because that is what she will make it). I can foresee her lying in court about not letting them come here or lying that they do not want to come here. She is very well off financially and I know she can afford to hire a good lawyer and probably will. Will this put her at a strong advantage?

He is just so tired of fighting but we want to see the kids more than just when we can afford to go up there for a few days. Please, any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

L

Leona Dennis

HE CAN CALL THE COURTS AND FIND OUT FROM THEM WHAT THE PROCESS IS FOR FILING THOSE PAPERS. I LIVE IN THE SAME STATE WITH MY EX AND HE IS THE SAME WAY THAT YOUR HUSBANDS EX IS. HE IS VERY CONTROLLING AND PLAYS A MAJOR GUILT TRIP ON MY BOYS (AGES 9,7 &5). THEY LIVE W/HIM RIGHT NOW AND I SEE THEM EVERY OTHER WEEKEND IF I AM LUCKY. WE ARE IN THE MIDDLE OF A BIG COURT BATTLE BECAUSE HE DOESN'T LIKE THE FACT THAT MY KIDS LIKE TO COME AND SEE ME SO HE IS TRYING TO TAKE AWAY MY VISITATION FOR NOTHING. WE ARE FIGHTING IT AND HOPEFULLY YOU CAN GET A GOOD ANSWER FROM THE COURTS WHERE YOU ARE.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">