• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need advice on online shopping order I received that was BLOODY!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

First time post here. I definitely need advise please! I know this is random, but I'm clueless here.
I ordered a pair of shorts from a well known store (both brick and mortar and online).
When I received the shorts, I noticed that they had been packaged and sent from a store location and not the warehouse. I know this because of the tags on the clothes (one bearing a price instead of the store.com) and the package receipt is different.
I'm a very good and very loyal customer of particular store easily spending $100+ a month.

Back to the shorts...
I went to wear them and noticed two very large stains, and several small stains on the inseam. The stains are blood. Not for the queasy, but it is obvious that these shorts had been tried on by someone at the store who menstrauted in/on them, and then packaged by an employee and sent to me. I was sent a bloody pair of shorts!

Upon my noticing, I emailed the customer service (with photos) and the corporate headquarters.
I received a phone call today about this disgusting and dangerous issue. They very easily credited my account for the purchase price and offered to send new shorts. Then, they asked me how I would like to resolve this issue. This is where I'm stuck.

I have had minor issues with this store before where they were quickly and easily fixed. Coupons were always offered, and I was very pleased with the outcome.

They are basically waiting for me (They are calling back in 2 days to hear my response) to let them know how I would like to be compensated. No coupon was brought up this time, as sending me some strangers unknown blood is way more serious than the wrong size/color item.

So...I ask, if this happened to you, how would you expect to resolve the issue?

*I have a toddler in my home as well as my 76yo father who has leukemia.

Thank you in advance for all your help!

quincy

First time post here. I definitely need advise please! I know this is random, but I'm clueless here.
I ordered a pair of shorts from a well known store (both brick and mortar and online).
When I received the shorts, I noticed that they had been packaged and sent from a store location and not the warehouse. I know this because of the tags on the clothes (one bearing a price instead of the store.com) and the package receipt is different.
I'm a very good and very loyal customer of particular store easily spending $100+ a month.

Back to the shorts...
I went to wear them and noticed two very large stains, and several small stains on the inseam. The stains are blood. Not for the queasy, but it is obvious that these shorts had been tried on by someone at the store who menstrauted in/on them, and then packaged by an employee and sent to me. I was sent a bloody pair of shorts!

Upon my noticing, I emailed the customer service (with photos) and the corporate headquarters.
I received a phone call today about this disgusting and dangerous issue. They very easily credited my account for the purchase price and offered to send new shorts. Then, they asked me how I would like to resolve this issue. This is where I'm stuck.

I have had minor issues with this store before where they were quickly and easily fixed. Coupons were always offered, and I was very pleased with the outcome.

They are basically waiting for me (They are calling back in 2 days to hear my response) to let them know how I would like to be compensated. No coupon was brought up this time, as sending me some strangers unknown blood is way more serious than the wrong size/color item.

Thank you in advance for all your help!
Call them and ask them to send a return shipping label and mail them back.

You have no legal action to pursue if, in fact, you are being sent a replacement pair of shorts. If you would rather not have another pair sent to you, you can ask for a refund.

adjusterjack

What the heck difference does that make? Why would you even bring that up?

No coupon was brought up this time, as sending me some strangers unknown blood is way more serious than the wrong size/color item.
No it isn't. Aside from the gross-out factor, no harm was done to you.

You got a refund and another pair of shorts. What else do you want? Blood? Oh, wait, you already got that. LOL. Sorry, couldn't resist.

quincy

You got a refund and another pair of shorts. What else do you want? Blood? Oh, wait, you already got that. LOL. Sorry, couldn't resist.
Ah. I read the post too quickly.

If a refund has already been provided and a new pair of shorts offered, Curious Consumer can ask for a shipping label - if the store wants the shorts returned.

The store has already done more than was legally necessary.

I bring this up because unknown blood is in my home. Hep B and C both can stay active for up to 6 weeks- even when dry. Having 2 people in my home with vulnerable immune systems makes this even more dangerous.

I will disagree completely. It is serious to have an unknown persons blood in your home. It's dangerous.

They asked ME, and expect an answer, which is why I posted in the first place. To see what was a reasonable offer.

quincy

There is no risk of contracting anything from dried blood on a pair of shorts you didn't wear.

You can ask the store for anything you want to ask for but asking for a return shipping label is reasonable.

Ah. I read the post too quickly.

If a refund has already been provided and a new pair of shorts offered, Curious Consumer can ask for a shipping label - if the store wants the shorts returned.

The store has already done more than was legally necessary.

Thank you for your reply.
I understand I'm on a legal advice site, and appreaciate the feedback.
I guess I'm curious because of the way the customer service agent left it open for me AFTER the refund/replacement was offered, it seemed like they expected me to ask for something else (maybe discount, better training for online order packets at stores, coupons, cash, ect). When I was clueless at what to say, they even scheduled a call back.
Is there a precedent for this? Is there something that they usually offer?

*It may be random for me to even ask something like this on a legal website, but I read through some of the other posts looking for similarities, and thought I would post myself.

Last edited:

quincy

Your question was a legitimate one.

Because the store refunded your money and even offered you a free pair of shorts, however, you suffered no injury. Without injury you have no damages and, without damages, you have no legal action to pursue against the store.

That said, I too would be upset if I ordered a new article of clothing and the clothing was delivered in the condition your shorts were.

The store might have asked if there is anything else they can do for you because they recognize you as a good customer or they just want you to be a happy customer. That is good business.

Good luck.

Your question was a legitimate one.

Because the store refunded your money and even offered you a free pair of shorts, however, you suffered no injury. Without injury you have no damages and, without damages, you have no legal action to pursue against the store.

That said, I too would be upset if I ordered a new article of clothing and the clothing was delivered in the condition your shorts were.

The store might have asked if there is anything else they can do for you because they recognize you as a good customer or they just want you to be a happy customer. That is good business.

Good luck.
That makes sense.
Thank you for your time, help and validation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">