• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need advice on traffic ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

trent2275

What is the name of your state? NY

I started a new thread because the other one was before I went to court and since I already went I need to change the question somewhat.

I got a speeding ticket going 46mph in a 30mph zone. I went to court and the A.D.A. wasn't there and I don't believe the officer was either. So I asked the judge to let me speak to the A.D.A. before I plead guilty or not guilty. I want to know what to say to reduce the charge or drop it altogether. I am now supposed to call the A.D.A. or write a letter.

I think I'm supposed to return to court later but I'm not sure until I find out will happen with the charge. The guy after me had a speeding ticket going 58mph in a 35mph and the cop dropped it to a lower violation, I wish they did that for me.

Thanks for the help in advance. Someone tell me what to do.

lwpat

"I think I'm supposed to return to court later"

You need to call the clerk of court and find out.

"I am now supposed to call the A.D.A. or write a letter."

OK. Then that is what you are supposed to do.

"Someone tell me what to do."

Offer your first born as sacrifice.

Joking aside, this is just a minor traffic ticket so don't get all bent out of shape. Call and see if you are eligible for traffic school or a deferment program. If not then ask for a reduction. Tell him you appeared in court but the officer did not show. Did you make a motion that the case be dismissed?

T

trent2275

Thanks.....here's more info

I am supposed to return to court on Nov. 20th. I think that's only if I don't get the charges dropped though. The main reason I am asking for advice is so that my insurance won't go up. I don't care too much if I have to pay any fines, I just don't want it on my record. The officer that gave me the fine might have been there but she walked in at the last second and I didn't get her name because I was the first one to go up, so I'm not sure if it was her. I did not ask to dismiss the charge because I have no idea what to say and what not to say, I don't want to tick off the judge with my incompetence.

abezon

Go to the library & get a copy of How to Fight Your Traffic Ticket & Win. This will at least give you some vague idea of what's going on before you commit yourself to anything.

T

trent2275

any other advice

Anyone else got any decent advice? I read a report about checking the road I was on and see if there was a speed survey done and that it could be to my advantage.

But I still have to contact the A.D.A. and I don't know what to say. Someone give me some advice besides going to the library. I don't have a lot of time to run to the library and hope they have any books relating to what I need (it's a very very small library)

Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">