• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need advice on Transfer of property from a Husband to Wife

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jfwinslow

What is the name of your state? Texas

I need to transfer a one acre lot from my father's name to my mother's. They both own it, but I don't know if my mother can buy it from my father using a general deed, or should I use a Quitclaim deed. They are not getting divorced, but I need the title to be in only my mother's name. I can prepare both but I don't want the state of Texas do penalize my father for the land.

seniorjudge

Your dad can use any kind of deed he wants to transfer the property to mom.

However, this does not remove what marital interest father has in the real estate. That would only be done in a divorce lawsuit or if your pa died.

HomeGuru

jfwinslow said:
What is the name of your state? Texas

I need to transfer a one acre lot from my father's name to my mother's. They both own it, but I don't know if my mother can buy it from my father using a general deed, or should I use a Quitclaim deed. They are not getting divorced, but I need the title to be in only my mother's name. I can prepare both but I don't want the state of Texas do penalize my father for the land.

**A: what is the exact reason for this title transfer?

HomeGuru

jfwinslow said:
I need to reduce my father's resources so he can remain qualified for medicaid

**A: that's what I thought. Such action would be deemed a fraudulent transfer of assets.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">