• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need advice on what to do, have less than 30 days

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Just Blue

No, it wasn't to screw her out of anything. It was because my hubs didn't know what he was supposed to be doing. She had always handled the finances so when they divorced he didn't even think about it. If you are just here to be nasty and jump to accusations like that I don't need it, go pick on someone else. I'm here for legitimate advice from someone who actually knows what the hell they are talking about.
Is your hub's mentally challenged? Unless he is deficient in that way...he knew to file state and federal taxes.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? South Carolina
This is only for Federal Taxes, right now. My husband and I got married in 2011. I've always filed my taxes, he had not since 2003 because of his previous divorce. I continued to file after we got married as HOH, I know, that was wrong but people told me better to do that then to not file at all. Fast forward to 2018 and we have to get our taxes straight. We went to an accountant and told him we wanted to amend my previous years and start fresh. He said no, just file 2017 taxes jointly and then 2018 and hopefully we will be ok. So we did that, sent off 2017 at the end of last year and I just mailed in the 2018 taxes. We owe on all of them, of course. We asked for a payment plan for 2017 and they sent us a letter Friday that stated they couldn't consider it yet because they don't have 2013-2016 tax returns. We have 30 days from the date of the letter to do them and send them in. Thats fine, I am ok with that, not that it even matters if I am. My question is the letter and WHAT to send. When our taxes were done for 2017 my hubs was listed first. On the letter the only ssn showing is his but both our names are addressed on the letter. They put the list of of years of missing tax returns and his is the only ssn listed beside each year. Does this mean I do not need to send mine in? Or do I still need to send an amendment and redo them jointly? I want to do this the right way, no matter what we end up owing, because I want to finally be back in their good graces. This has kept me up some nights, I don't like not paying my fair share. I have no returns of my own from the previous years because my computer crashed and I didn't have it backed up like a moron. So if I sent an amendment I would need to get my previous returns from them as well. I tried calling but the wait time is forever and I'm afraid I'll get myself into more hot water than necessary if I do speak to them.
You CAN amend your tax returns for those years to include your husband and his tax attributes. Or, your husband could simply file returns for himself as married filing separately.

Him filing separately would not fix the fact that you filed HOH when you should have filed married filing separately however, and its possible that the IRS could take that further.

You can get tax return transcripts by making an appointment with your local IRS office if you are having trouble reaching them on the telephone. You can also get copies of 2015 and 2016 online if you can pass the identity quiz that they make you take to do so, but you cannot get 2013 and 2014 online.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">