• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need advice @ security deposit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bosanova

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I have lived in my small apartment complex for 3 years, and my landlord has always been great to me. I did not sign a lease when I moved in, and instead rented month-to-month. We never did an apartment checklist when I first moved in.

Because of credit issues, he had my pay first, second, last, and security deposit when I moved in. I have never been late paying my rent.
I gave a few months notice that I'll be moving out October 1. I assumed that since I had paid 3 months rent PLUS security deposit when I moved in, that the last 2 months of my rent were credited to my account. So I wouldn't have to pay rent for August/September....since they were paid when I initially moved in. But he states that's not the way it's done. He said I actually need to pay those final 2 months' rent, and then they will be returned to me with my security deposit.

Does this sound right? I just want to make sure that it's not a fishy situation.
He's always been a great landlord, so that would actually surprise me.

Thanks!

longneck

both of you are wrong. if you pre-paid the first two months of rent and the last month, then you only have ONE rent-free month at the end.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">