• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need advice.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

wgrant

Wisconsin

Looking to start up a politically oriented internet newsletter. I am also thinking of spending the profits on charities or using the money to set up or help set up fund-raising events for charities or political organizations.

Need advice on where to start. Do I need a business license? Is E-publishing immune from zoning laws? What if I have friends help? What if I pay them? What if I don't?

L

loku

LOOKING TO START UP A POLITICALLY ORIENTED INTERNET NEWSLETTER. I AM ALSO THINKING OF SPENDING THE PROFITS ON CHARITIES OR USING THE MONEY TO SET UP OR HELP SET UP FUND-RAISING EVENTS FOR CHARITIES OR POLITICAL ORGANIZATIONS.

NEED ADVICE ON WHERE TO START.
First see if you can get anyone to pay you money for this. If so:

DO I NEED A BUSINESS LICENSE?
Yes, get one from your city or county offices.

IS E-PUBLISHING IMMUNE FROM ZONING LAWS?
Nothing is immune, but if you can qualify for the city or county license, that is all you have to worry about. Unless you have a lot of people coming into your home office, there is no trouble with zoning.

WHAT IF I HAVE FRIENDS HELP?
WHAT IF I PAY THEM?
If you pay them, you have to withhold taxes if they are employees, or send 1099s if they are independent contractors.

WHAT IF I DON'T?
If you don’t pay them, no problem.

If there is no risk of personal liability from the business, it sounds like you probably would be best off just to operate the business as a sole proprietor and not incorporate or form any other type of entity.

However, if there is a chance of personal liability, for most small businesses, the best and easiest way to limit personal liability is with a Limited Liability Company (LLC). It protects you as well as a corporation would, but with much less formality. It is also much easier to form and maintain.

At any rate, before starting a business, I would highly recommend you read the FreeAdvice material at http://business-law.freeadvice.com/starting_a_business/ , and then go to the excellent Small Business Administration sit on Starting Your Business at http://www.sba.gov/starting/ . Particularly see their “Startup Kit.”

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">