• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? Kentucky

I owed a credit card company $600, they did receive a judgement against me for $1100. I received in the mail today an interrogatories to defendant and request for production of documents. I do not own a car or any property. What I would like to know, is if they can garnish my husbands wages for this debt? Or take his vehicle? I would love to settle this with them, but I don't even know where to begin. Any help would be appreciated.



Senior Member
If your husband's name is not on the credit card account, then the only person they can come after is you. They can garnish YOUR wages. If the car has both your names on it, then, yes, that could affect your husband. If its ONLY in HIS name, they can't touch it.

Every single state has exemptions for judgments just like they do for bankruptcy, so there ARE limitations to what a creditor can and cannot take from you when they've been granted a judgement.


Check with an attorney in your area, but when my wife and I had a similar situation in MI we were told by a lawyer that since my wife was the sole owner of the debt, i.e. the debt was acquired before we were married, then any of my property or any joint marital property could not be touched by a judgment. Since I was in no way responsibile for her debt, I could not be harmed (financially) in an attempt to collect that debt.


LadyinRed and minerk, thank you so much for the advice. I really appreciate it.


Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential