• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

need advise

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shienin

What is the name of your state? OH
My aunt passed away 7 years ago. She changed her beneficiary to my name before she died. I tried to filed a claim long time ago but wasn't able to go through all the process. They told me that they need to contact my aunt's husband first before doing anything. I didnt know anything about these stuff so I trusted my aun't friend doing all the work for me. Including putting her address as my address since I stayed with her for a short time. I was waiting for my aunt's friend to call and left a message if she got any news from the insurance but she did not call back.A few months after I got tired of waiting so I decided not to pursue the claim . But then a few years after ,someone adviced me to call the insurance myself and give it a try. So I called the insurance but I found out that they already close. My question is: Can I be able to open the case again?
I really need someone's advice. The insurance worth is just $5000. I know it's not worth it but to think of it...my aunt tried hard to change the beneficiary for one purpose...for my education.

efflandt

I could be wrong, but I believe by law a person has to get their spouse's approval to change a beneficiary to someone other than their spouse. If she did not get her husband's approval for the beneficiary change, that may explain why it was closed without you hearing any more.

Betty

You waited kind of long to do anything. If the ins. co. closed on their end, they probably already paid out the benefit. You cannot go back to the ins. co. now. If you believe the proceeds should be yours, you would have to go after (sue) the bene who received the proceeds (whoever that might be) though it seems a little late for that.

A spouse (the insured) if they own the policy, can change the bene w/o the other spouse's ok - at least at the co. I worked for & the cos. we did reinsurance with.

Last edited:

shienin

Yes she owned policy.
And you are right...I kinda waited too long to do anything.
Atleast I know now...Thank you very much for your advise, and God bless you all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">