• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need an Opinion

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jeremy_curlo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

The State is Kansas, I have a six year old son that lives with his mother two hours away. I pay child support monthly as ordered by the State of Kansas SRS office. We have never gone to an actual hearing in front of a judge to establish child support and visitation. Everything was done by the Social and Rehab Services office.

I currently only get to see my son once a month and I have to drive the full two hours to pick him up and the two hours home to spend time with him. I would like to establish a more regular schedule of visitation for my son. I believe the only way to do this is to go through the court in able to get this set in stone.

My question is 1. Should I take this to court, or try to come to an agreement with her? and 2. Should i get a lawyer in the city I live in, or should I get a lawyer in the city where his mother lives? Because I assume the court case would be held in the city where my son and his mother live and I don't know how much a lawyer would charge for travel expenses.

Thanks for your time.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

The State is Kansas, I have a six year old son that lives with his mother two hours away. I pay child support monthly as ordered by the State of Kansas SRS office. We have never gone to an actual hearing in front of a judge to establish child support and visitation. Everything was done by the Social and Rehab Services office.

I currently only get to see my son once a month and I have to drive the full two hours to pick him up and the two hours home to spend time with him. I would like to establish a more regular schedule of visitation for my son. I believe the only way to do this is to go through the court in able to get this set in stone.

My question is 1. Should I take this to court, or try to come to an agreement with her? and 2. Should i get a lawyer in the city I live in, or should I get a lawyer in the city where his mother lives? Because I assume the court case would be held in the city where my son and his mother live and I don't know how much a lawyer would charge for travel expenses.

Thanks for your time.
Its best to get things legally established. You can come to an agreement with mom, but its best to have it signed off on by a judge, so that its enforceable.

If you and mom can come to an agreement, you may be able to do it without an attorney. However, if you need to hire one, its best to hire one in mom's community. Attorneys charge their regular hourly rate for travel time, so it would be very expensive to hire one in your community.

You should be able to get every other weekend, rotating school holidays and at least 1/2 of the summer. You live too far away for anything else to be feasible.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">