• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need answer to this question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Get Answers

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

I have tried to get rid of a tax debt, it is not a large one, only one year. I have already gone through bankruptcy, but the IRS had already filed. I am going in to my local IRS office the first week in June, and I will be submitting an exception, in the form of a closed account check, for discharge of this tax debt. I have all the pieces to do this,except for one question, I know how to fill out the check front and back, but, my question is, in the top middle of the check I have to put my SS# do I put dashes in it or not, the other is under the SS# I have to print my name, do I write it all in capitals,are print it normally? I really need a correct answer to this, possibly from someone that has done this, or has the expertise in this matter. Thank you to all.

NIV

I have tried to get rid of a tax debt, it is not a large one, only one year. I have already gone through bankruptcy, but the IRS had already filed. I am going in to my local IRS office the first week in June, and I will be submitting an exception, in the form of a closed account check, for discharge of this tax debt. I have all the pieces to do this,except for one question, I know how to fill out the check front and back, but, my question is, in the top middle of the check I have to put my SS# do I put dashes in it or not, the other is under the SS# I have to print my name, do I write it all in capitals,are print it normally? I really need a correct answer to this, possibly from someone that has done this, or has the expertise in this matter. Thank you to all.
What do you mean by "submitting an exception"?
What are you trying to explain with a closed account check?

I'm not sure what you are really asking. Are you simply trying to pay your tax debt? Or, are you trying to explain something to the IRS they are not understanding somehow?

quincy

Like NIV, I find your post confusing. Perhaps you can provide some clarification for us so we can address your concerns. Thanks.

LdiJ

I have to say that I am also confused...and I can usually read between the lines when someone is talking about taxes.

adjusterjack

I have to put my SS# do I put dashes in it or not, the other is under the SS# I have to print my name, do I write it all in capitals,are print it normally? I really need a correct answer to this, possibly from someone that has done this, or has the expertise in this matter. Thank you to all.
The "correct" answer is that it doesn't make any difference because the IRS computers will identify you either way.

However, the usual practice is to write your SSN like this:

123-45-6789

And print your name like this:

John J. Jones

Oh, use your real number and your real name, not the examples I just used.

quincy

I have to say that I am also confused...and I can usually read between the lines when someone is talking about taxes.
It would be nice if Get Answers returned to better explain what he is doing, huh? :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">