• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need direction on how to add father's name to BC

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? New York. My friend is trying to enroll his son (13) into a new school district in Westchester County. He has raised his son alone since birth and has no idea where the mother is. His son's Birth Cert. only has the mother's name on it (she filled it out due to the hospital losing the correct one the father filled out). She even mispelled the last name. This has been a burden for a long time. The father needs to know where to go to have it corrected. Any clues?


Senior Member
You did not say where the birth certificate was issued.

But go back to whatever bureaucracy issued the birth certificate and ask them how to correct it.

Your friend may have to take this to court. The court will want to know why it took 13 years for the father to do something.


Junior Member
The BC was issued in NYC. This has not been an issue before now, he hasn't traveled and everyone (health care providers, last school, etc.) has accepted the BC for ID. So call the NYC dept of Birth records and try to get it amended? Thanks for your help.


Junior Member
Until that is done, what can we give the school admin. for proof that he is his father? It seems silly that the White Plains school district has known them as father and son for years but Rye City School District won't acknowledge it. Can they (RCSD) really tell him that he can't go to school? What if the process takes weeks?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential