• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Final Divorce Judgment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dannerino95815

What is the name of your state? California

I filed a Dissolution of Marriage. Wife responded to it (so I can't get a default judgment). We went back and forth on the Settlement Agreement. We agreed. That whole part is all over with. That was in 2003.

But there never was a final judgment that the divorce was complete.

Do I need to file a new Dissolution? Petition the judge for judgment?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
As mentioned above, you will want to have an attorney on board to ensure that you do things right.

dannerino95815

I knew this was just a trolling site for lawyers. It's not really advice if the answer always is "you should hire a lawyer." Lame

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I knew this was just a trolling site for lawyers. It's not really advice if the answer always is "you should hire a lawyer." Lame
I guess you didn't read the terms of service for the site, did you? There are only a couple of lawyers that post here (I am not one). In the last 15 years, you haven't been able to figure out how to close the deal. You need an attorney because it's obvious you can't do it on your own. Best of luck to you - have a wonderful day.

Last edited by a moderator:

xylene

Your extreme delay of working the DIY process that was availed to you 15 years ago necessitates that you get a lawyer. You've created this problem by inaction that now the matter is not simple.

You need an advocate.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
Had you used some common sense and followed up on this in 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006...... etc, then the answers would have been MUCH different. But since you chose to ignore something so easy to follow up on, you have created your own lameness.

LdiJ

You were unable (or unwilling to take the time) to do the final steps necessary to complete your divorce. There is little chance that you will not make new mistakes this time around. An attorney will make sure that it get's done right this time.

You do realize that you are still married to her? You do realize that this 15 year delay could completely change all property settlements and everything else if she decided to make an issue of it? You cannot afford NOT to have an attorney at this point.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Do I need to file a new Dissolution? Petition the judge for judgment?
Find out first what happened to the old case. Chances are that it was eventually dismissed for lack of prosecution if the case ground to a halt and neither you nor your spouse pressed on to get the final judgment. If that happened, you'd have to start the divorce process all over again from scratch.

If by chance the divorce case is still pending in that court, then you could move for final judgment. But if your spouse opposes doing that because she wants to relitigate the property issues, etc., then you may still be in for litigation before you can get that final judgment.

In any event, your first step is to review that court file and see what happened and where things currently stand.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">