• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

need help 4 my mother in law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kayleyzmum

What is the name of your state? PA
My mother in law and her sisters were molested by their father and I have just recently learned that he may have also molested two of his step-granddaughters. Is there a statue of limitations in PA on this??
:)

BelizeBreeze

kayleyzmum said:
What is the name of your state? PA
My mother in law and her sisters were molested by their father and I have just recently learned that he may have also molested two of his step-granddaughters. Is there a statue of limitations in PA on this??
:)
Section 5533(b) of Title 42 of the Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes are amended to provide a SOL of 12 years from the date of a victim reaching his or her age of majority (18). SB 212 P.N. 2153 (2002).

The new SOL is effective 60 days from the date of signing which was June 28, 2002.

The act also provides, however, that the amendment to 42 Pa.C.S. § 5533(b) shall not be applied to revive an action which has been barred by an existing statute of limitations on the effective date of the act.

In addition, Pennsylvania has a minority tolling provision (2 years from reaching age 18) effective for cases arising after 1984.

The Pennsylvania Supreme Court has also refused to apply the State's discovery rule to repressed memory cases due to Pennsylvania's policy of strictly interpreting statutory deadlines. Dalrymple v. Brown, 701 A.2d 164 (Penna. 1997). See also Hollister v. McGrath, PICS Case No. 99-0894 (3rd Circ. April 30, 1999) (applying Dalrymple's analysis rule to a 20-year old malpractice claim against a psychologist).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">