• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Help - Car Was Rear-ended

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nokialg

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? - California

My car was rear-ended yesterday by another car bcos, that car got hit by another one. So there were 3 cars involved, and mine was the first one, i didnt go and hit the car in front of me, the last guy who hit the middle car was injured and i am not sure how much, but was taken in an ambulance.

I am very much worried at this point of time, can some one throw me some answers for these questions?

1) actually i was hit by the next car at my rear bumper (but on the sides) may be i was changing lanes, but it is the middle car which got hit by the other car first and then this lady (middle car) came and hit me. Am i in any mistake??

2) police came and issued us a case number, now i am just not able to know what is going to happen?

3) will i be found liable at all in this case?

4) will they pay for my car's expenses. mine is abrand new car.

5) i am very much worried cos, i have a speeding ticket in my DL. Should i worry very much now.

6) will these accidents appear in my carfax history?

pls any information regarding this or anyone who has crossed this kind of situation will be very helpful to me. PLEASE HELP...I NEED HELP..

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

This is simple.

First, turn the claim for your vehicle damages over to your insurance company. Second, consult with a Personal Injury attorney. You may have a very good case.

IAAL

N

nokialg

CLAIM FOR ME..

HI,

i dont want to do a claim with my insurance company bcos, i already have 2 claims done in the past and my insurance premium is shooted up like hell. also, if nothing happens, i am infact ready to do my own repairs from my pocket (if need be) instaed of going to my insurance company for a claim.

but what i am worried most is whether my driving license record is affected and whats going to happen with these police case and stuff like that, i am experiencing this for the first time and i am really depressed to the core. PLS HELP.

THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Okay. My job here doesn't include helping your psychological problems or your angst.

Since you already have some predetermined beliefs about making a claim, then you're on your own.

Try to have a Happy Holiday.

IAAL

N

nokialg

I AM SORRY..

I didnt mean to frustrate you. If i have done that, pls apologize me. Its just that i am letting out my feelings.

JETX

"actually i was hit by the next car at my rear bumper (but on the sides) may be i was changing lanes, but it is the middle car which got hit by the other car first and then this lady (middle car) came and hit me. Am i in any mistake??"
*** Based solely on your post, no. However, it is NOT clear as to how you managed to get damaged on the SIDE if you were hit from the rear.

"police came and issued us a case number, now i am just not able to know what is going to happen?"
*** Did you get the insurance information from the other cars (mainly the one at the end of the 'line')?? If so, file a claim with his/her insurance.

"will i be found liable at all in this case?"
*** No one can answer that since we don't have the opportunity to 'on scene' the accident. However, from your post, I would presume you shouldn't have liability.

"will they pay for my car's expenses. mine is abrand new car."
*** If they are at fault and find that you have none, 'they' should pay to repair your car.

"i am very much worried cos, i have a speeding ticket in my DL. Should i worry very much now."
*** Again, if you are not found liable, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

"will these accidents appear in my carfax history?"
*** Depending on the full reporting done, it may.

N

nokialg

thanks for your detailed reply.

first of all thanks for your detailed reply, pls look at my clarifications in blue and let me know what do u think:

actually i was hit by the next car at my rear bumper (but on the sides) may be i was changing lanes, but it is the middle car which got hit by the other car first and then this lady (middle car) came and hit me. Am i in any mistake??"
*** Based solely on your post, no. However, it is NOT clear as to how you managed to get damaged on the SIDE if you were hit from the rear.

i was changing lane from middle lane to left lane, and the lady who was in the left lane got panic and applied brakes, the car behind her was coming fast and hit her car and she came and hit my car and i guess i was just changing lanes at that time, so her right side head light part came and hit my left side rear bumper, my bumper came out. i guess this is what happened. but i am not sure what that lady told the officer. neither nor that lady got hurt, but the first person who hit her car got hurt and was taken in an ambulance, and i am sure that its not life-threatening.

"police came and issued us a case number, now i am just not able to know what is going to happen?"
*** Did you get the insurance information from the other cars (mainly the one at the end of the 'line')?? If so, file a claim with his/her insurance.

no, when i asked for it, the police issued me a case number and a phone number to contact and get the report details, once they do the investigation.

*** No one can answer that since we don't have the opportunity to 'on scene' the accident. However, from your post, I would presume you shouldn't have liability.

this is the part i am seriously worried about.

*** If they are at fault and find that you have none, 'they' should pay to repair your car.

based on my explanation, can you pls let me know your expert advice for the above question.

"i am very much worried cos, i have a speeding ticket in my DL. Should i worry very much now."
*** Again, if you are not found liable, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

*** Depending on the full reporting done, it may.

but my previous 2 claims did not appear in my carfax history. i was changing lane from middle lane to left lane, and the lady who was in the left lane got panic and applied brakes, the car behind her was coming fast and hit her car and she came and hit my car and i guess i was just changing lanes at that time, so her right side head light part came and hit my left side rear bumper, my bumper came out. i guess this is what happened. but i am not sure what that lady told the officer. neither nor that lady got hurt, but the first person who hit her car got hurt and was taken in an ambulance, and i am sure that its not life-threatening.

JETX

The story you are NOW giving is drastically different than your earlier one (where you claimed that you were rear-ended). Based on this latest version, you are much more likely to be found at fault. The reason is that the car in the lane to you left, very likely (or could at least argue) had to brake due to YOUR changing lanes and that the chain reaction was caused by YOU.

Given the fact that this COULD be a valid claim (and only disputable based on ALL the facts), that voids my entire previous response. And with that, here are my REVISED responses:
"Am i in any mistake??"
*** Very likely.

*** The other drivers are going to make a claim against YOUR insurance carrier.

*** Based on the VERY limited truthful information in your post, probably.

*** Probably not. Your insurance company may cover your loss.

*** Yes.

*** Answer remains as previous.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">