• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Help: Copyrights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

convoy71

What is the name of your state? PA

First can someone tell me how a company or person goes about obtaining a right to produce/release a dvd owned by United Artist. Now I UA has never replied to my inquiries. Only once did MGM whom owns UA say to me on the phone "your not a distribution company" (few years ago).

Now a company released the movie in question using a 1986 vhs release, cover based on the theatrical cover, and pasted their company logo atop and below. They apparently copied a Warner Bros UK Region 2 vhs/dvd which was infamously released edited. I contacted the company who claimed they released a digitally remastered full version, I know out right they are wrong and they demanded via phone and email to be silent stating I am giving them a bad rep. Though the company did say to me they obtainied "third party licensing", but someone recently stated "it's universally believed they obtained no copyright permission and are selling a professionally designed bootleg.

How would I go about obtaining the right to release my own dvd of the movie legally. Is there a way to prove if a company did legally obtain a right to release another company's movie.

Some Random Guy

The only legal way to distribute the movie is to get MGM/UA to give you distribution rights. Apparently they don't want to. I would suggest either teaming up with a recognized distribution company or waving wads of cash in their face.

convoy71

Copyright

Thank you for replying. That is the most straight foward answer anyone has offered. I will definitely do that this time. I emailed MGM a few years ago and hand wrote UA a few months ago. But no responce.

I do have dvd plans, backing of the very person whose song the movie is based on and a virtual website.

So I plan to write MGM again asking for distribution rights and/or what they desire for distribution rights.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">