• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need help deciding if I need a patient

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Samuel C R

Me and a friend were trying to start a business we have a few ideas for products we would like to sell, however i am running into issues with deciding if I need a patient. All the confusion is starting to pull me away from even wanting to start this business, and I need help. I'm not sure about the practicality of a patient at this point since it's a somewhat novice idea and I am unsure of how well it will sell, and if someone could make a profit on it if they did steal the idea, and just generally if a patient will pay it's self off I believe that may be a harder question to answer considering that I'm not describing the product, however if it is any help I have seen a few people talk about a Issue this could solve before. I am also wondering if I would be able to sell this product during the time it is being processed or has a patient pending on it because if I can't sell it in this time it's practically useless getting a patient in the first place. Thanks for any help sorry for the long post.

doucar

The term is patent, not patient. a patient is a person who visits a doctor.
It all depends upon how valuable you feel the idea is and whether you think someone will try to rip you off. You can sell it with the patent pending, be sure and note that on the product and/or documentation that goes with it.
Good luck.

adjusterjack

I am sure you mean "patent" not patient.

The best place to get information is at the US Patent and Trademark Office website:

https://www.uspto.gov/

Or consult a patent attorney.

As for selling the product while the patent is pending, you can certainly do that and I believe that your patent will be retroactive to the date you apply. I won't swear to that because I haven't looked it up. But you should.

quincy

Me and a friend were trying to start a business we have a few ideas for products we would like to sell, however i am running into issues with deciding if I need a patient. All the confusion is starting to pull me away from even wanting to start this business, and I need help. I'm not sure about the practicality of a patient at this point since it's a somewhat novice idea and I am unsure of how well it will sell, and if someone could make a profit on it if they did steal the idea, and just generally if a patient will pay it's self off I believe that may be a harder question to answer considering that I'm not describing the product, however if it is any help I have seen a few people talk about a Issue this could solve before. I am also wondering if I would be able to sell this product during the time it is being processed or has a patient pending on it because if I can't sell it in this time it's practically useless getting a patient in the first place. Thanks for any help sorry for the long post.
What is the name of your state or, if not in the U.S., what is the name of your country?

If you have an invention, or an idea for an invention, you potentially can patent the invention if it is useful, novel (something new) and nonobvious.

To see if your idea for a product would qualify for a patent (and, if others have discussed the idea before, it might not), you can discuss the idea with a patent attorney.

To apply for a patent, you will need to be able to demonstrate your invention (how to make it, how to use it) and you will need to show how it differs from all other inventions.

What you should NOT do is discuss your idea with others without the benefit of a confidentiality/non disclosure agreement in place.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">