• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

need help for some nice friends

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sherb159

What is the name of your state? Michigan

My question for whomever can help is for some friends of mine. See they decided to lease to own their house to this girl. They signed a lease w/ her and all and as far as i know it was all done legit except for the fact that they never did a credit check on this girl.

Anyway, bottom line is that she began by being always late w/ her rent payments and then not paying at all. My friends say that they have asked her to leave several times and she has said she would but she never does. This has been going on a month or more. They have told me that they are waiting for a court date but they needed to bring the house up to code for some landlords license that they never got so they cannot legally do anything to get this girl out. In the meantime she is living in the house for free.

My question is this, is there anything they can do within the legal limits to get her out before the court date or whatever they are doing as of now?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I feel so bad for them since they are such nice people and this girl is soooooo aweful. Plus what bugs me is until their court date according to my friends this girl is living in the home for free. That to me is just not right! Am i correct in thinking that!?

Sheri

treese

You stated yourself that they cannot legally do anything to get this girl out.

Any ideas that might be had are illegal and can set them up for more trouble.

Unfortunately they put themselves in this position by not obtaining the proper license/certificate of occupancy or whatever was legally required of them to have before renting the home out.

sherb159

thanks

Thanks for the reply. I figured they were stuck but i was just seeing if there was anything else they could do. I know they made some bad errors in judgement w/ this tenant. I mean they didn't even do a credit check on her or anything like that.

Sheri

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">