• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need help getting my $3000 back - Arkansas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I'm in Arkansas, Madison County.

Here is the scenario:

Person A (Me) gives Person B $3000 (interest free) to be the down payment for 10 acres of land. Person A has a reciept from the land seller of the 10 acres.

Person B agrees in written agreement (on piece of paper) to let Person A stay on the land on 1 acre until death as a way to say thank you for the down payment of $3000.

Now, Person B has paid off the land and wants to kick Person A off without repaying the down payment.

Is this a case for small claims court? I care less about the 1 Acre than I do about the $3000. Small claims court is not a court that handles property claims and disputes so is this still a case for small claims court?

Thoughts?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Did the two parties sign a document stating that the $3k was a gift in order to induce the lender to write the loan?

There is nothing in writing saying it was a gift. There is nothing in writing about the $3000 at all except for the receipt given by the original land owner for the $3000 down payment. The only other thing in writing is from Person B giving Person A permission to live on one acre of the land till Person A dies. Signed in sound mind. But like I said, I care less about the land as I do the $3000

Zigner

I am surprised that any lender wouldn't require such a document.

In any case, you don't have a contract for $3,000.00.

We are not really talking about an institutional lender here. It was more of a friend deal. So you don't think this should go to small claims? I have a receipt for the land that Person B bought with the receipt saying it came from Person A. Not person B.

quincy

I agree with Zigner. It appears now that the $3000 was more in exchange for living on the property and less of a loan that needed to be repaid.

Thanks. But now the property buyer is kicking me off the land. I still have the signed agreement saying I can live on the land.

So does she just get to keep my $3000 and I lose on the one acre? Seems like stealing to me.

quincy

Thanks. But now the property buyer is kicking me off the land. I still have the signed agreement saying I can live on the land.

So does she just get to keep my $3000 and I lose on the one acre? Seems like stealing to me.
Success with a small claims suit will hinge on what you can show the agreement was on the $3000. If you can show the $3000 was a loan, you could get a judgment for $3000.

Zigner

You never "had" one acre to lose.

PayrollHRGuy

Sounds like the $3000 was to create a life estate so you could live on the land. It also sounds as you didn't properly do so.

There is no way to prove the $3000 was a loan because the only paperwork says it isn't.

Zigner

What was the reason for kicking you off the land?
What steps did he take to kick you off the land?

Its a she and she says I have to go because she wants to sell the land now that its paid off to someone else. Fine, sell it, but give me my $3000 back is how I see it. She paid a total of $13000 altogether for the land.

I'm on a camper so I can move pretty easy. So its not really a bother to move so much as I would need the money to get somewhere else to live.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">