• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need help navigating the car claim maze

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dennisleon

Hello, HealthCare gov

I was just running errands this morning, minding my own business, when wham! Someone wasn't paying attention and now my car has new dent-ure. Thankfully, nobody got hurt, but dealing with car insurance and repairs always feels like a major headache. Do I need to file a police report? How do I choose a good repair shop? What paperwork do I need for the insurance claim?

Anyone else been through this? Send tips, tricks, and well wishes my way!

Last edited:

quincy

Hello,

I was just running errands this morning, minding my own business, when wham! Someone wasn't paying attention and now my car has new dent-ure. Thankfully, nobody got hurt, but dealing with car insurance and repairs always feels like a major headache. Do I need to file a police report? How do I choose a good repair shop? What paperwork do I need for the insurance claim?

Anyone else been through this? Send tips, tricks, and well wishes my way!
What is the name of your state?

When you have an accident, you call the police and you call your insurance agent. Your insurer can tell you what you need to do.

zddoodah

What state?

Do I need to file a police report?
No, but you do need to notify your auto insurance carrier ASAP.

How do I choose a good repair shop?
This isn't a legal question, but generally, either your insurer or the other driver's insurer will make a recommendation.

What paperwork do I need for the insurance claim?
None.

Anyone else been through this?
No. You're the first person ever to get in a minor fender bender. /s

Send tips, tricks, and well wishes my way!
Call your insurer's claim reporting number. It should be on the proof-of-insurance card you should be carrying with you when you drive. If you believe the other driver was at fault, then call the other driver's insurer and make a claim. Of course, I'm assuming you and the other driver exchanged insurance and other relevant information at the scene of the accident.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If the OP is in CA, s/he will almost certainly need to report this to the DMV as well. A police or insurance report does not fulfill the requirement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">