• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NEED HELP Please

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Godwithus2

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma

I am married and live in Oklahoma with my husband, we both have Texas Drivers license and just moved here six months ago from Texas. We have been married for 13 years.
I am a stepmom of two, 20 and 17 and have a 10 year old, all boys.
Since the 17 year old was 7, he has always challenged me in many ways and now it is to the point where it is verbal abuse and I fear for my 10 year old.

I want a divorce from my husband because he does not see no wrong in the 17 year old behavior and I fear for my ten year old. There are many red flags that my 17 year old has pertaining to being bi-polar and has serial killer traits. We do not have insurance to get him help. My husband is in denial and I need to leave.
Can I get a divorce hear in Oklahoma while we have Texas drivers license?
I do not work due to taking care of the family.

Thank you!

Eekamouse

I am married and live in Oklahoma with my husband, we both have Texas Drivers license and just moved here six months ago from Texas. We have been married for 13 years.
Since the 17 year old was 7, he has always challenged me in many ways and now it is to the point where it is verbal abuse and I fear for my 10 year old.

I want a divorce from my husband because he does not see no wrong in the 17 year old behavior and I fear for my ten year old. There are many red flags that my 17 year old has pertaining to being bi-polar and has serial killer traits. We do not have insurance to get him help. My husband is in denial and I need to leave.

Thank you!
Well, you're going to have to get a job now. There's no reason for you not to have one since you don't have any small children anymore anyway. You won't be able to stop your husband from having his 17 year old around your 10 year old when he's got the child during his parenting time. You've been in OK long enough to establish residency so that shouldn't be a problem however, why haven't you gotten new licenses after moving to OK? You're supposed to do that right away.

Godwithus2

Finding a job is not a problem, I have my masters degree in education. We have not changed our drivers license due to his job being unstable.
We may move back to Texas. Things are so unstable right now. I was thinking of marriage counseling, maybe listening to another person will open his eyes about his son.
The oldest lives with my sister, going to college and on the dean's list. I have very good boys but I know the 17 year old has mental issues.

Maybe a separation first?

LdiJ

Finding a job is not a problem, I have my masters degree in education. We have not changed our drivers license due to his job being unstable.
We may move back to Texas. Things are so unstable right now. I was thinking of marriage counseling, maybe listening to another person will open his eyes about his son.
The oldest lives with my sister, going to college and on the dean's list. I have very good boys but I know the 17 year old has mental issues.

In all reality your 10 year old is likely safer if you do not get divorced. You won't be able to prevent dad from having parenting time and if you are not in the home to monitor things, it could be much worse for the 10 year old.

On top of that, if there is a chance that you would be moving back to TX, and that is where you would prefer to be, it would be safer to wait.

Godwithus2

Thank you! You are right..
I think I will wait till the summer when school is out, that way I can stay with my family in Texas for a while.
Maybe time away from each other will scare the crap out of him lol.. and he will agree to marriage counseling.

Thanks for your advice!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Thank you!
The 17 year old is NOT your child. Where is the child's actual mother? Serial killer traits? Really? How do you believe you can diagnose that and bipolar?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

You only have one boy. A 10 year old. The other children are your husband's with the woman or women he impregnated.

t74

In the larger cities in OK there are mental heath service agencies that have fees based on ability to pay. Discuss the possibilities with the counselor at the child's school.

In the event there is a serious problem, take him to the ER of the hospital. Many have access to inpatient care for adolescents. (Been there, done that in OK.)

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
In the larger cities in OK there are mental heath service agencies that have fees based on ability to pay. Discuss the possibilities with the counselor at the child's school.

In the event there is a serious problem, take him to the ER of the hospital. Many have access to inpatient care for adolescents. (Been there, done that in OK.)
Stepmom can't legally do that. Stepmom has NO LEGAL rights.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">