• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need help Quick!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MPriest

What is the name of your state? Florida

I was named as the primary beneficiary to a Life insurance of a long time friends, over 20 yrs. His heirs have gotten a Lawyer and are going to contest the change of benificiary he made.

He died without a will, and they got everything else. They are trying to say that he was drinking, and didn't know what he was doing when he changed his beneficiary to me in Sept 2001. But it was witnessed by a friend of his that is a notary and he took it to the insurance company the following week.

Can they really do this to me?
What are my rights?

I just received a letter from his step-Mother and his father after his passing and in the letter they states that they talked to him about three weeks before he passed. He had told them that he was Leaving the House and the Money to me. But, He never got around to making a will I guess for the house, but the insurance is definately in my name. I don't care about the house but he specifically left the money to me and knew that it would help me and my children who he considered his grad-children and considered me his adopted daughter(Long story).

Will this Letter help me if they take me to court?

What do I do if the do take me to court? Im a single mom of two girls, just graduated form college and I cant afford a lawyer, but I need someone to represent me if this goes to court.

On top of it all the insurance company said that if they contest it they will send the money to the courts instead of to me.

What do I do?

C

CIAA

Dear MPriest, while crazy things can happen when someone passes, I would be suprised if it is determined that you are not entitled to the benefits. First thing is you must get your claim filed! Follow up closely with the insurance , pointing out that the beneficiary change was notorized and personally delivered by your friend. Keep in mind that the notary is an officer of the state and could not (or should not) have notorized the beneficiary change without exposing himself or herself to serious penalties and damages if your friend was not mentally capable. Yes, the letter from your in-laws is helpful as their testimony will be evidence of your friends' further radification of his intentions. Please feel free to e-mail if you want to discuss further.
Good luck !

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">