• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need help regarding a chemical substance I am being exposed to against my will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

christopherj128

Covington, Georgia

I'm trying to find out the legal options I have regarding an ongoing incident that's occurring around my parent's place of residence. I am currently being exposed to an unknown substance that is having negative effects on my health and my parent's health, but have been unable to identify the substance or it's source. The incident first began the week before thanksgiving in my apartment, when I noticed muscle weakness and unusually stretchy skin when lying under sheets at my apartment. The symptoms worsened to included nausea, dry heaving, loss of appetite, lesions, tingling at the point of contact, and cracking of skin and the knuckles. I immediately scheduled an appointment with the doctor, who was unable to provide an explanation for the symptoms. Later, the week of thanksgiving I went to my parents house where I encountered the same thing, however it was far more wide spread. I encountered the substance in food items, water, soaps, carpet, and other surfaces. Washing surfaces seemed to remove the effect, however it had a tendency to show up whenever we left the house for significant periods of time. Additionally I began to encounter the substance in my car, on the steering wheel and shifter, and smeared on the inside window on the car. The smeared substance would cause blinding glares at night whenever headlights of another car passed. Cleaning the windows only resulted in a fresh coating of the substance several days later.

I'm trying to determine what legal recourse I have in this matter. I have been unable to convince my parent of the need for a police report, her name is on the mortgage so I can't file on her behalf. What is more troubling is that she doesn't seem to notice the substance. Even though I have noticed significant mental changes in her over the past several weeks she constantly attributes it to things like old age or kidney stones, making it impossible to reason with her. I have been staying in hotels to avoid the effects of whatever it is, but that is unsustainable for me so I need to know what my legal options are to find out what is occurring and put an end to it. Please help.

OHRoadwarrior

Take a swab of this mysterious substance from a place you are sure it is located, find a local chem lab and ask them to run GC analysis on it. Note the library of the GC analyst and the sensitivity peaks of the GC may or may not pick up your trace so it is important you determine whether you feel the lab you pick can process the sample. Are you sure someone is not cooking meth at their home?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I suspect that a visit to a mental health professional may be in order. I am NOT saying that to be snarky - I am truly suggesting that you may have a condition that can be helped by them.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I was getting that OP noted the effects at home after a visit to mom n dads home.
They started at his apartment. He went to the doctor and the doctor had no explanation. He later went to his parents' house and experienced the same symptoms.

Covington, Georgia

I'm trying to find out the legal options I have regarding an ongoing incident that's occurring around my parent's place of residence. I am currently being exposed to an unknown substance that is having negative effects on my health and my parent's health, but have been unable to identify the substance or it's source. The incident first began the week before thanksgiving in my apartment, when I noticed muscle weakness and unusually stretchy skin when lying under sheets at my apartment. The symptoms worsened to included nausea, dry heaving, loss of appetite, lesions, tingling at the point of contact, and cracking of skin and the knuckles. I immediately scheduled an appointment with the doctor, who was unable to provide an explanation for the symptoms. Later, the week of thanksgiving I went to my parents house where I encountered the same thing, however it was far more wide spread. I encountered the substance in food items, water, soaps, carpet, and other surfaces. Washing surfaces seemed to remove the effect, however it had a tendency to show up whenever we left the house for significant periods of time. Additionally I began to encounter the substance in my car, on the steering wheel and shifter, and smeared on the inside window on the car. The smeared substance would cause blinding glares at night whenever headlights of another car passed. Cleaning the windows only resulted in a fresh coating of the substance several days later.

I'm trying to determine what legal recourse I have in this matter. I have been unable to convince my parent of the need for a police report, her name is on the mortgage so I can't file on her behalf. What is more troubling is that she doesn't seem to notice the substance. Even though I have noticed significant mental changes in her over the past several weeks she constantly attributes it to things like old age or kidney stones, making it impossible to reason with her. I have been staying in hotels to avoid the effects of whatever it is, but that is unsustainable for me so I need to know what my legal options are to find out what is occurring and put an end to it. Please help.
You won't have any legal recourse until you are able to find a doctor who can corroborate that there is a problem. In other words, it doesn't matter what the substance is, where it is, or how it got there - unless a doctor can corroborate that something has had a detrimental effect on your well being (or on your parent's well being), you will have no legal recourse.

I suggest that you print out your post and take it to another doctor and explain the whole thing to them (or go back to the same doctor that you already went to, and explain that the problem is more widespread than you initially described). You will probably have to do see more than one doctor until you find one who is able to determine that there is a problem (not what is causing the problem, but that there is a problem). Be sure and let each doctor know who else you have seen and what they had to say. This sort of situation will definitely require a second opinion, and probably a third or fourth opinion. Once a doctor has been able to confirm and document the problem(s) that you are experiencing, then you and they can try to identify what is causing the problem(s).

quincy

Covington, Georgia

... I have been unable to convince my parent of the need for a police report, her name is on the mortgage so I can't file on her behalf. ...
Not that this really matters, given all else that has been said, but you do not have to be on the mortgage to file a police report.

RRevak

Call me cynical, but this sounds terribly like dihydrogen monoxide is to blame...

I'm jes' sayin.
Dihydrogen monoxide is insidious and often misunderstood. It should be avoided at all cost as it builds in the system causing rampant instances of swelling of the cells, a flushing of the organs (mainly liver and kidneys) and an overall feeling of intestinal thickness. If one should come into contact with such a substance than one should immediately add ice and a wedge of lemon as the citric acid neutralizes any off effects. Knowledge is power!

TigerD

Dihydrogen monoxide is insidious and often misunderstood. It should be avoided at all cost as it builds in the system causing rampant instances of swelling of the cells, a flushing of the organs (mainly liver and kidneys) and an overall feeling of intestinal thickness. If one should come into contact with such a substance than one should immediately add ice and a wedge of lemon as the citric acid neutralizes any off effects. Knowledge is power!
More than 50,000 people die from exposure to Dihydrous monoxide every year. And while they haven't proven a causation, almost every person who dies from cancer has a significant quantity of the chemical in their system. The correlation is extremely high.

TD

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">