• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NEED HELP regarding sublease issue, PLEASE LOOK!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mrkent

What is the name of your state? california

no real names here.

i am currently in a bind. here is the issue.

i am subleasing an apartment from a person, whom here on will be known as Bob. I signed a contract with him earlier that says the following. heres the couple important parts.

This agreement shall be from july 1st to sept. 15th. meaning thats the days i get to rent the place out.

the monthly rental for the said property shall be $720, due and payable on the 1st day of each month, and shall be paid to "bob's father."

there are more or less no other significant agreements.

Here is the thing, the rent is suppose to be 900/month, but he usually pays 1300 a month. But he told me late july/early augest, another person (sandy) is going to move in, and he will charge me 600 a month from there on. So basically, 1800 for the 2.5 month. Thats why it says 720 a month. But i decided to share the place with 2 other people so i dont have to pay as much, without telling him. Now that sandy came to check the place out, and decide to move in this weekend. So she told bob about how there are 2 other roommates, now he is tripping out. He says either one of them move out, or i pay more. Can he do that?
Also, he threatens to call the landlord on me to kick 1 roommate out, but can he legally do that? I know for a fact that the landlord doesnt know that i have 2 other roommates, but i am not sure if she knows if i live here. (the contract is signed by me and bob).

so my question is, can he legally kick us out or raise prices?
if you have any question regarding the case, please ask, i will be checking the forums periodically every few hours.. and he needs an answer by saturday.. its very urgent and im a student with no extra money.. and bob and sandy are totally anal. Thanks alot

mrkent

Some Random Guy

Does the sublease specify what portions of the apartment you are subleasing? I assume Sandy expects to have her own bedroom.

Does the sublease specify anything about who is allowed to live there?

Bob's ability to get the landlord to kick you out depends on whether your sublease is legal according to the main lease agreement. Getting the landlord involved may get everyoine, including Bob kicked out.

Face it, you are really taking advantage of Bob and should expect to pay the fill $1300 for fully utilizing the place.

mrkent

its a 1 room apartment, sandy was planing on using the living room.

sublease says i get the the "address" of the place, which implyes i get the whole apartment. nothing is specified about who can live there. just the place is subleased to me.

how can i check out the main lease agreement to see if he can kick me out?

im getting a good deal on the apartment, im not gonna deny it, but summer is usually cheaper near a college, and im not rich enough to pay the 1300.. so im just trying to save as much money as possible. And bob is just pissing me off cuz hes threatening me and stuff.

mrkent

can i get a response please?

my parents said that because there are no agreement on contract about roommates,
also bob did not attach the agreement between him and the landlord, and since he rented the place to me for the summer, i can do whatever i want with it. and he is threatening to come into the apartment to check up on it. can i just not let him in?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">