• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Help regarding updating a recorded divorce decree

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

imschertz

Live in PA - Years ago when my ex-wife and I filed for divorce, we did not hire attorneys or go through the court system because we were civil with each other and worked out all arrangements including child custody and support on our own. We download the necessary forms online and we filled out or divorce decree which included arrangements regarding properties, debt and child custody and support. This was filed with the court and the divorce was official. Seven years later my ex-wife and I decided to change the child custody and support. We now each have a 50/50 arrangement and neither parent pays each child support. We split everything for our child 50/50 and its working great. So, I wanted to update the original divorce decree on file so it reflects our changes with custody and support. I reached out to the court house and provided them with an amendment thinking this would be all they needed and they could add it to the original docket # that was recorded. They told they could not except that and that I would need to create a stipulation to the decree. I sent that in and now someone else said that they could not except that. I am now very frustrated because all I need is for them to record the changes and add it to our docket # on file. They say they cannot tell me how to do it and I should consult an attorney. I really don’t have the money to consult an attorney and don’t feel I need to especially since we didn’t use any in the first place.

Can anyone let me know what type of form that I need and if I can create it myself or download it on line so I can have this updated? I desperately need to get this done as I am going to settlement soon on a new house and I may need to show the support I use to pay is no longer in place.

Please help!

Thanks,

Jeff

Silverplum

Live in PA - Years ago when my ex-wife and I filed for divorce, we did not hire attorneys or go through the court system because we were civil with each other and worked out all arrangements including child custody and support on our own. We download the necessary forms online and we filled out or divorce decree which included arrangements regarding properties, debt and child custody and support. This was filed with the court and the divorce was official. Seven years later my ex-wife and I decided to change the child custody and support. We now each have a 50/50 arrangement and neither parent pays each child support. We split everything for our child 50/50 and its working great. So, I wanted to update the original divorce decree on file so it reflects our changes with custody and support. I reached out to the court house and provided them with an amendment thinking this would be all they needed and they could add it to the original docket # that was recorded. They told they could not except that and that I would need to create a stipulation to the decree. I sent that in and now someone else said that they could not except that. I am now very frustrated because all I need is for them to record the changes and add it to our docket # on file. They say they cannot tell me how to do it and I should consult an attorney. I really don’t have the money to consult an attorney and don’t feel I need to especially since we didn’t use any in the first place.

Can anyone let me know what type of form that I need and if I can create it myself or download it on line so I can have this updated? I desperately need to get this done as I am going to settlement soon on a new house and I may need to show the support I use to pay is no longer in place.

Please help!

Thanks,

Jeff
Don't be frustrated with the clerks: they are prohibited by law from telling you what to file/how to file it/why.

You'll have to have your modification signed by a judge before it can be incorporated into your existing decree. Here's the beginning spot for self-help family legal in PA: http://www.palawhelp.org/issues/children-and-families/self-help-pro-se-forms-and-information

It's an excellent thing that you and your ex co-parent so beautifully! :):)

Reactions: LED

imschertz

Yes I agree and thank you! Question though....when i go that website you provided, it seems all the forms to modify child custody or support are for people that actually have a support order already in place with the court system. We don�t actually have one. We only listed how we wanted it set up at the time in the divorce decree. However, I don�t see any forms to modify a decree since that is the only thing we actually have filed with the courts.

Your thoughts?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yes I agree and thank you! Question though....when i go that website you provided, it seems all the forms to modify child custody or support are for people that actually have a support order already in place with the court system. We don�t actually have one. We only listed how we wanted it set up at the time in the divorce decree. However, I don�t see any forms to modify a decree since that is the only thing we actually have filed with the courts.

Your thoughts?
You misunderstand - when the court signed off on the plan you submitted, it became a support order.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">