• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need help with theft case please!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jlj1113

What is the name of your state? Washington

About two and half years ago my grandmother passed away unexpectedly. My grandfather has Alzheimer’s and was unable to stay in the home due to needing constant care. We moved him to a memory care facility. My sister had also been staying there for what was suppose to be temporary. She continued living there for over a year after my grandfather was moved. She had to be evicted by the court and locked out. The plan was for my grandfather’s legal guardian to sell the home and everything in it to pay for his care. My sister ended up taking almost everything in the house though. She also took a safe with upwards of about 10 guns in it. I have told the police everything and they won’t even investigate it. They say that this is a civil matter and don’t want to be involved in a family dispute. Also that there is no proof. The items could have been hers to begin with. What can I do? How can I protect my grandfather and keep these guns from getting out onto the streets?

adjusterjack

Yes, it's a civil matter.

Your grandfather's "legal guardian" (somebody appointed by the court?) has the duty to safeguard his property and can file against your sister in court and have a judge compel your sister to return the property under penalty of a contempt citation.

If that guardian is not willing or able to do that then somebody else will have to step up and pay for a lawyer to go to court against your sister.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">