• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Help With This Auto Accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Alpinestars

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law): California

So basically on September 30, 2014 I was driving home from my job interview and was stopped behind this beat up 2003 Oldsmobile in the left hand turn lane waiting for the light to turn green. There were about three cars in front of her. The arrow turned green and everyone started to move forward. I slowly moved forward also and glanced for no more than two seconds to my right and when I turned my head forward, she was stopped for no reason. I braked as fast as I could and lightly tapped her bumper. I believe she shorstopped me and baited me into it because there was no reason she should of stopped and she also had a friend in the car so it is POSSIBLE that maybe they had this orchestrated and her friend waited til I glanced away and then gave the driver the queue to stop. So anyways, we pull over and there was pretty much no damage at all and so we only exchanged phone numbers and names and then took off and went our separate ways. An hour or two later I get a text saying that she sees damage and she sends me a picture of two small centimeter paint chips (probably from my license plate screws), so she said she will take it into the body shop the next day and give me a quote for the damage. The next day she gives me a document stating it will cost me $460 for those two little chips! I told her I will no be paying that and that I am not even sure if it was actually my fault and told her I will not be over paying for the damage. She hired this attorney and the guy text messages me asking for my insurance and I told him no because since technically we decided at the scene there was no damage initially, I saw no reason to pursue this anymore as it is obvious she is trying to just get a bunch of money out of me. He then threatened to call the police on me because it is a crime that I did not provide it after the crash, but here is the kicker, neither did his client! She didn't ask for mine and I didn't ask for hers. He then threatens to file an SR-1 even though I looked it up and you don't file one unless the damage exceeds $750 or there is injuries or fatalities. He is also saying he will take me to court and represent her, I thought small claims you can't even have a lawyer? Can someone give me advice please? Should I just ignore him or what? Thanks in advance.

CdwJava

Contact your insurance company and advise them of what happened. If the police do come calling, let them know what happened. If the other party feels they have a case, they will take you to small claims court. I seriously doubt they will pay an attorney a few thousand dollars for a few hundred in damages, so I have my doubts that whomever you spoke to was even an attorney..

ecmst12

You rear ended her because you weren't watching where you were going. End of story. You are liable for her damage.

Bali Hai

You rear ended her because you weren't watching where you were going. End of story. You are liable for her damage.
100% correct. It isn't the first or the last time someone will be rear ended by a rubber necked driver who is looking everywhere but straight ahead. Then try to blame the driver they hit. :rolleyes:

LdiJ

So basically on September 30, 2014 I was driving home from my job interview and was stopped behind this beat up 2003 Oldsmobile in the left hand turn lane waiting for the light to turn green. There were about three cars in front of her. The arrow turned green and everyone started to move forward. I slowly moved forward also and glanced for no more than two seconds to my right and when I turned my head forward, she was stopped for no reason. I braked as fast as I could and lightly tapped her bumper. I believe she shorstopped me and baited me into it because there was no reason she should of stopped and she also had a friend in the car so it is POSSIBLE that maybe they had this orchestrated and her friend waited til I glanced away and then gave the driver the queue to stop. So anyways, we pull over and there was pretty much no damage at all and so we only exchanged phone numbers and names and then took off and went our separate ways. An hour or two later I get a text saying that she sees damage and she sends me a picture of two small centimeter paint chips (probably from my license plate screws), so she said she will take it into the body shop the next day and give me a quote for the damage. The next day she gives me a document stating it will cost me $460 for those two little chips! I told her I will no be paying that and that I am not even sure if it was actually my fault and told her I will not be over paying for the damage. She hired this attorney and the guy text messages me asking for my insurance and I told him no because since technically we decided at the scene there was no damage initially, I saw no reason to pursue this anymore as it is obvious she is trying to just get a bunch of money out of me. He then threatened to call the police on me because it is a crime that I did not provide it after the crash, but here is the kicker, neither did his client! She didn't ask for mine and I didn't ask for hers. He then threatens to file an SR-1 even though I looked it up and you don't file one unless the damage exceeds $750 or there is injuries or fatalities. He is also saying he will take me to court and represent her, I thought small claims you can't even have a lawyer? Can someone give me advice please? Should I just ignore him or what? Thanks in advance.
I agree that you are liable. However, I sincerely doubt that you were speaking to an attorney.

Ladyback1

Most attorneys will not do "official" business via text.

Dave1952

You hit the lady and are liable for her damages. She provided you with a "document" that claimed that it would cost $460 to repair her car. Was that document from a body shop? $460 does not sound unusual or excessive for such repairs. Do you want her to get a few more estimates?
Refusing to supply her with your insurance is silly. She can and almost certainly will take you to small claims court. I doubt that she'll lose.
What's wrong with you? Your posturing here is strange. This is a minor matter that your insurer can easily handle. They'll get an estimate or two, cut her a check, and have her sign a release.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
...I believe she shorstopped me and baited me into it because there was no reason she should of stopped and she also had a friend in the car so it is POSSIBLE that maybe they had this orchestrated and her friend waited til I glanced away and then gave the driver the queue to stop...
Your paranoia is a bit ridiculous especially considering that the collision was clearly your fault. Your inattention to operating your vehicle is the cause here, not some conspiracy against you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">