• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

TOMSRI

Hi All,
Here my story, I went into emergency and the insurance company initially started sending me letters for 2 months saying that i went to out of network participant. After 2 months it started saying i was not covered on that date. I think there was some kind of fight going on between my employer(former) and insurance comapany/broker about the amount of premium and number of employees enrolled. My employer went bankrupt. Now both the Hospital and Therapists are after me for paying bills. Is it not the responsility of Insurance company to notify me about the
discontinuity of insurance. In this situation what should i do.

Thanks
Tom

C

CIAA

TOMSRI,

Since this is employer sponsored insurance you should contact the benefits plan administrator and file an appeal if necessary. You should have already received notice on how to appeal ( a requirement), when you got your benefit notices.

Your employer, not the insurance company, is responsible for telling you if the insurance was in force or terminated as it is the employers' group policy. The employer may terminate coverage at any time he wishes.

If your employer withheld premium from your pay and didn't pay the insurance company, I would suggest that you file a claim with the bankruptcy administrator. I believe insurance premiums would be regarded as trust funds and receive some preferential treatment.

You can also file a complaint with the U.S. Dept of Labor as they regulate and enforce employer health plans. You can visit them on the web.

Good luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">