• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

need help?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Y

yover

My 16 year old sister took some of my stepmoms xanax to school.She got caught with 31 of them.Charged with felony
possession on school grounds and felony to distrubute.
She's never been in any trouble before.She wasn't selling them, she had given a few to her friends. She's the shy quite nerdy type.I don't think she knew really the trouble she was looking at, I beleive she was trying to fit in and be cool.What actually can happen to her now for this? What can be done to help her?Hampton, Tennessee

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Oh boy, well, she is a juvenile, so not a whole lot.

IF she has a clean criminal record and her attorney can show the court that she really didn't have the intent behind these crimes and she was just trying to fit in, perhaps the charges can either be dismissed or plea bargained down.

Whatever happens, her court records should be sealed upon her turning the age of majority -- usually 18.

You need to get a private criminal defense attorney for her if you want any success. Public defenders really have too many cases to handle one very well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">