• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

d1000

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA. Well back when I was twenty two I got in a bar fight, long story short a buddy of mine allegedly hit this guy that I was fighting with a glass and he pressed charges. Our lawyer told us to take a plea because if we were found guilty we would loose our gun rights for ten years, so we took the plea. A year later my buddy gets pulled over and they search his truck and found a gun and now he is facing a felony charge because this plea we took actually prohibited us from owning, carrying, or buying a gun. I would speak with my attorney about this but he left the country shortly after our sentencing, he left a bunch of his clients hanging. I was charged with violating section 242,243 and 417. I don't understand how the 417 pertains to me since I was never accused of hitting anyone with a deadly weapon and nowhere in the police report does it say anything about me hitting anyone with anything but my fist. It is the 417 violation that has kept me from owning a gun for many years now and I am just tired of letting the court get away with this. Any help would be appreciated.

Indiana Filer

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA. Well back when I was twenty two I got in a bar fight, long story short a buddy of mine allegedly hit this guy that I was fighting with a glass and he pressed charges. Our lawyer told us to take a plea because if we were found guilty we would loose our gun rights for ten years, so we took the plea. A year later my buddy gets pulled over and they search his truck and found a gun and now he is facing a felony charge because this plea we took actually prohibited us from owning, carrying, or buying a gun. I would speak with my attorney about this but he left the country shortly after our sentencing, he left a bunch of his clients hanging. I was charged with violating section 242,243 and 417. I don't understand how the 417 pertains to me since I was never accused of hitting anyone with a deadly weapon and nowhere in the police report does it say anything about me hitting anyone with anything but my fist. It is the 417 violation that has kept me from owning a gun for many years now and I am just tired of letting the court get away with this. Any help would be appreciated.
How long ago did you plead guilty? You do realize that pleading guilty means you gave up any rights to appeal that plea, right? You told the Court that you agreed you were guilty of the charges. You told them you would accept the consequences of that plea.

You cannot change things now. Your only hope is to request a pardon from the governor of California or to wait out the ban period.

seniorjudge

What is your question?

d1000

**A: this post makes no sense. Read it again.
Sorry I'm just tired. I meant why did the 417 charge get added to me when I was never acused of hitting anyone with anything but my fist. There was no mention of me using a glass in any part of the police report by anyone they interviewed.

cyjeff

Sorry I'm just tired. I meant why did the 417 charge get added to me when I was never acused of hitting anyone with anything but my fist. There was no mention of me using a glass in any part of the police report by anyone they interviewed.
Google "accomplice" and "accessory"

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">