• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need info about warrant from 2001

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

worrywart123

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

Hello,

I currently reside in WV but have just been made aware that I have an outstanding warrant in FL from 2001. It is a felony warrant for a worthless check. According to the warrants department at the sheriff's office in FL they will not extradite, so I cannot go to my local sheriff's department to have the warrant served. I need something from them stating that they will not extradite, but they are unwilling to provide me with any information. They have said that I must come there to face the charges; unfortunately, I'm not financially able to do that. I have called the public defender in FL and was advised that they will not help me until I come there to turn my self in, so it's a catch 22. Is there anyway that I can force them to provide me with details about the warrant, such as the fact that they are unwilling to extradite?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

FlyingRon

What does a statement that they are not willing to extradite do for you? It won't keep you from getting detained if you're picked up when a remote jurisdiction notices you have a warrant out for you.

If you have real charges against you, you're not getting things dismissed without facing them. It's either going to take a personal appearance or a lawyer (for which you are paying). I'd start by calling a for-hire lawyer in the jurisdiction that you're in trouble with and he can probably give you your options.

worrywart123

Thanks for the reply, but it doesn't answer my question. Is there any way to obtain proof that they are not willing to extradite me?

BTW local law enforcement will not serve the warrant, I've already tried that... I'm not fleeing, I am trying to resolve the 8 year old matter.

FlyingRon

There is no "proof" that they aren't going to extradite you. They could change their mind at any moment. What good is any such assurance? You're not "resolving" it by having them state they aren't going to extradite, you're just stalling. That open warrant will show up as a sore thumb all over the place. It will be there on background checks if you want to get a job or some sort of certification. It will probably show if you try to finance a house. If you get stopped for some traffic or other stop you may be held until they contact Florida and find out whether they want to come get you. Your letter in your pocket won't help there.

A warrant means they want you. It won't be resolved unless you either surrender or take legal action to challenge it's validity. Public defenders are there to help the indigent defend themselves, not to assist fugitives to remain at large.

worrywart123

I'm not sure why you insist on making assumption about me. I am trying to take care of the warrant but I cannot afford to venture to Florida to do it. I have offered to turn myself in at the local sheriff's office, but after they reviewed the information they refused to book me because FL did not want to extradite. I have contacted numerous state agencies in FL all of which have advised me they are not willing to pay the expense to have me extradited back to the state. I need proof of their refusal to extradite for reasons which are not relevant to this discussion.

If you didn't have the answer you shouldn't have replied to the post, you can keep you assumptions to yourself. :)

FlyingRon

What makes you think you have the right to violate the law in one state and arrested and tried in a location of YOUR convenience?

Don't get snarky with me. If you intentionally refuse to answer the questions and provide relevant information as to what you are looking for, you can't fault those of us who are volunteering our time to attempt to help you.

The sad truth is you can continue with your head in the sand OR you can go to Florida OR you can contact a lawyer there (which you will most likely have to pay for) to assist you and may still involve you having to go to Florida.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">