• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Info Re: Heirship Affidavit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? TEXAS

My Father In Law (J) Passed away in 1/2000. He left a wife (who has her own 3 children) and his own 5 children. There were no children of their marriage. There is no will. The Warranty Deed to his property includes her name so things appear to be simply 1/2 to the wife, 1/2 to his children. This is a small estate and can be taken care of with a Affidavit of Distibutee of a Small Estate. The thing is, nothing has been filed yet. Now his wife has passed away (also intestate) and things need to be settled. My question - do we (J's Children) file the affidavit for HIS estate. If so, how do I list her as an heir when she is deceased? Do I file 2 seperate Affidavits? We are not HER heir, she has 3 sons of her own. I'm not sure if we CAN file for her. Her children will not file anything, as one of her sons has moved himself into her (OUR) home and will not budge nor let us in without a court order. The property needs to be sold, however, as she left a property tax debt. I realize J's estate should have been taken care of already, I'm just a daughter-in-law, please don't yell at me.I hope I've provided the needed information. Any advice?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential