• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need info. regarding first time DWI in TX

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mark1210

What is the name of your state? Texas

Ok, so I know someone who got pulled over and went to jail for 7 hours for a DWI offense. She had to perform a breathalizer test and blew a .1xx I would like to know what she could expect when a court date is set. She has a clean record with no priors. My concern is jail time and insurance changes. Can someone please enlighten me so I can let her know what to expect?

If jail time is expected, are there any suggestions on how it could be reduced/elminated?

Thank you.

M

meerkat3232

Depends on....

Mark,

Depends on the xx part of that .1xx. Many states now have minimums a judge must sentence based on BAC. Multiply your friend's current insurance by 3-5, that is how much it may go up. If jail is not mando for what she blew, then as part of the deal, she as a first timer may have community service in lieu of jail, and she will probably have mando counseling/awareness classes. She will have to file high risk insurance with the state for 3-4 years.

M

meerkat3232

Ps

Tell your friend to take everything at those classes to heart, a second charge is pretty devastating. Tell her to follow everything but that "trying to play the one drink per hour" game, it is complete BS and false info---playing that game got me my second DUI.

mark1210

Thanks for the info Meerkat, I will pass it along. Would you think as it is her first time ever being involved with the law that she would get a jail term? This is in TX by the way.

M

meerkat3232

Not sure

Not positive. Do a google search of TX traffic laws/new DUI laws. They are getting tougher everywhere, but most places there is no jail time for 1st offense (but as part of the deal she will most likely have to complete classes, and or attend AA or MADD meetings). Failure to complete will invoke the jail sentence. Like I said, if she was really high like .18 or something, there may be 30 days or so in the tank.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">