• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Legal Advice for Joint Bank Account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vgkfan83

Arkansas

I have a friend who recently left her husband because he kept on leaving and abandoning her and her children. Neither one filed any papers before this happened. This last time he left their almost 2 month old son in the hands of 2 known drug addicts. Well, she moved in with me and her husband is on VA Disability Benefits & SSDI. They share a joint bank account. On the first of November, she went to the bank and withdrew some of the money so she could get things that she needed for their children, and things here at the house. .She also went to other ATM's and withdrew money a few days later . . We have heard through their former neighbor that his family told him that he needs to go to all the places where she withdrew and look at the security footage to see who was with her and who used the card.

My mother drove her to the bank on the morning of the 1st. I drew her to other ATM's thereafter, and her and I also stopped at a gas station here local and she sent me in to purchase cigarettes & tobacco with her debit card. I had her permission to do it. She's 20 years old.

What we are wondering is can he come after her for taking the money out of the account, even though they are joint on that account and can he come after me for taking her to ATM's and for swiping the card at the gas station even though she sent me in there and I had her permission?

LdiJ

Arkansas

I have a friend who recently left her husband because he kept on leaving and abandoning her and her children. Neither one filed any papers before this happened. This last time he left their almost 2 month old son in the hands of 2 known drug addicts. Well, she moved in with me and her husband is on VA Disability Benefits & SSDI. They share a joint bank account. On the first of November, she went to the bank and withdrew some of the money so she could get things that she needed for their children, and things here at the house. .She also went to other ATM's and withdrew money a few days later . . We have heard through their former neighbor that his family told him that he needs to go to all the places where she withdrew and look at the security footage to see who was with her and who used the card.

My mother drove her to the bank on the morning of the 1st. I drew her to other ATM's thereafter, and her and I also stopped at a gas station here local and she sent me in to purchase cigarettes & tobacco with her debit card. I had her permission to do it. She's 20 years old.

What we are wondering is can he come after her for taking the money out of the account, even though they are joint on that account and can he come after me for taking her to ATM's and for swiping the card at the gas station even though she sent me in there and I had her permission?
She is the joint account holder therefore she has just as much legal right to the money as he does. If someone drove her to the bank or the ATM there is absolutely zero he can do about that. If someone else used the card he could temporarily cause some trouble perhaps, but that would end as soon as she explained that she asked someone to go in for her.

The other thing he can do however, is he can close the account and open a new one in just his name. I suspect that he will do that shortly, if he hasn't already done it.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
We have heard through their former neighbor that his family told him that he needs to go to all the places where she withdrew and look at the security footage to see who was with her and who used the card.
We? Look, this has nothing to do with you. Your friend should be sitting down with a divorce/family law attorney to get her information first-hand.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">