• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need legal advice in Calgary

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

laane7

I live in Calgary Alberta, I recently lent my van to my roommate. I did not ask him what he needed it for. I was contacted later that evening by police who asked if I knew where my van was, which I didn't. I filled out a statement for the cops stating my roommate borrowed my van. Turns out he filled jerrycans at a gas station with $200 worth of fuel and attempted to use a stolen gas card then fled without paying. I've explained to police that my roommate hasn't been back and only just got my vehicle back. The cops asked me if I knew the implications I could face , are they bluffing or could I be in trouble for this at all? Please let me know what if any repercussions could be against me. Thanks.

my_wan

I don't know much about Canada, but generally you must name the roommate to the cops and give any other information you have on his whereabouts. Yet this statement is bothersome:
I've explained to police that my roommate hasn't been back and only just got my vehicle back.
How did you get your van back if the "roommate hasn't been back"? If the cops can show you withheld any information about your roommate you can be charged with accessory and/or aiding and abetting (same thing), even if you can prove you weren't involved in the actual crime. If you just sit back and deny you are, in all likelihood, sunk.

Option 1:
Help the cops find your roommate and/or merchandise. Do not withhold any information you have about him/her.

Option 2:
Retain a lawyer and shut your mouth. (Probably a bit late for that.)

It really depends on the status of your facts and what you think of your roommate. I wouldn't even pretend a white lie for someone who put me in that situation.

Of course I'm in the US and could be way off on what to expect in Canada.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">