• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

need legal advise how to avoid going to jail from not paying child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



Hi, my husband was not paying child support in the past 7 - 8 years. He has two children from different parents, the youngest is 10 and the eldest is 12.

The mother with the youngest child filed for child support few years after they've separated and the mom with the eldest filed a year or two after that.

Now, he owes more than 75K to the county for both child. The DA found out where he works and they recently started to deduct payment to his paycheck. After four months they started to deduct payment from his check, they arrested him for not paying.

We do have proof that they started to deduct payments, but they still put him in jail for 1 day. And he was released but will need to appear to court.

He went to court and judge suggested he hires an attorney, but my husband felt he did not need one, since they had already started to deduct payment, and when he appeared to court again, the judge suggest he gets a lawyer, since he will be facing 3 years of prisonment.

Is this how the state of California jurisdiction works. Even though he started to pay for child support, he was still told he will face prisonment for 3 years.

Should we hire a lawyer?

Please help

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential