• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need marriage advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lockdownstory

Thank you guys for all your advice!

I'm not planning on having a kid. I just wanted to know if there's something like that out there for an unborn child.

Why is divorce still a taboo? I think I will have to mentally prepare myself for a divorce as nobody divorced in my family and all my friends are happily married.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

I'm not planning on having a kid. I just wanted to know if there's something like that out there for an unborn child.
There's not even an unborn child here. But, no, there isn't (as I explained above).

Why is divorce still a taboo? I think I will have to mentally prepare myself for a divorce as nobody divorced in my family and all my friends are happily married.
Your friends are married. Unless you are in their houses and in their heads, you can't say that they're "happily married" with any degree of certainty.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member

There really isn't a taboo these days, IMO. Not in larger society, though perhaps in certain familial situations. I was the first to divorce in my family, followed by my brother and, most recently, my younger daughter. It happens. And the reasons are, at the end of the day, no one's business but yours and your wife's.

t74

You are in the extended honeymoon stage. Things will become more difficult if children are involved. A wacky wife could very well become a serious problematic mother.

Are you better off/happier with her or without her? If it is without then seek the advice of a divorce attorney for legal issues and a counselor for your personal issues.

zddoodah

There isn't. Courts make custody determinations based on the best interests of the child at the time the determination is made, not based on some agreement made who knows how many months/years in the past by people who, at the time the agreement was made, weren't even planning on having kids.

Why is divorce still a taboo?
Societally, it isn't. If you're a member of certain religious denominations, it might be, but a discussion of why that is the case isn't even remotely within the scope of a legal message board.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">