• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Opinions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IN

This really isn't the right place but there wasn't a better option.

A younger friend of mine (not really all that young but 38 is young to me) did some all excited shopping with her tax refund today. She bought a bunch of thing from the clearance shelves at a chain store. All kinds of percentage's off type deals, and a few non-clearance items. It was basically a "get everything I have really been needing for a while but didn't have the money to buy it" type of shopping spree. No significantly big ticket items.

Everything went on the belt...and everything went by the cashier. She expected everything to be around 600.00 but her final tally was about 500.00. She did not think too much of it at the time, she basically thought that her math was off. Once she got home and really looked at her ticket she realized that several items didn't scan, and she is not even certain which ones they were, just that she came home with 33 items and her ticket only reflected 30...the descriptions were not all that good for the clearance items. No problem with the non-clearance items.

If this were your friend, would you advise her to just leave it alone or try to resolve it with the store? She is a really straight arrow...I am concerned that she will be accused of shoplifting and then having remorse.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
That makes it harder. Even if she went back now, if she's not sure what items didn't scan it would be hard for them to determine what she still owed. Or if she did. She might want to try covering herself by phoning the store, telling them that she's reviewed her receipt and thinks there may have been some items that didn't scan, and see what they want her to do. They may tell her to forget about it, but at least she'll have made the effort.

LdiJ

That makes it harder. Even if she went back now, if she's not sure what items didn't scan it would be hard for them to determine what she still owed. Or if she did. She might want to try covering herself by phoning the store, telling them that she's reviewed her receipt and thinks there may have been some items that didn't scan, and see what they want her to do. They may tell her to forget about it, but at least she'll have made the effort.
That might work..Its worth a try.

TigerD

Make a list itemizing the 33 items she came home with.
Bring the list and the receipt back to the store.
Sit down with the manager and try to determine which three items were not charged.
Make payment.

TD

dave33

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IN

This really isn't the right place but there wasn't a better option.

A younger friend of mine (not really all that young but 38 is young to me) did some all excited shopping with her tax refund today. She bought a bunch of thing from the clearance shelves at a chain store. All kinds of percentage's off type deals, and a few non-clearance items. It was basically a "get everything I have really been needing for a while but didn't have the money to buy it" type of shopping spree. No significantly big ticket items.

Everything went on the belt...and everything went by the cashier. She expected everything to be around 600.00 but her final tally was about 500.00. She did not think too much of it at the time, she basically thought that her math was off. Once she got home and really looked at her ticket she realized that several items didn't scan, and she is not even certain which ones they were, just that she came home with 33 items and her ticket only reflected 30...the descriptions were not all that good for the clearance items. No problem with the non-clearance items.

If this were your friend, would you advise her to just leave it alone or try to resolve it with the store? She is a really straight arrow...I am concerned that she will be accused of shoplifting and then having remorse.

With everything going on in the world, you are so bored you are trying to make a problem when no problem exists. Call it a day, advise friend to do the same and move on with life. goodluck.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
With everything going on in the world, you are so bored you are trying to make a problem when no problem exists. Call it a day, advise friend to do the same and move on with life. goodluck.
This is exactly NOT what I hope parents are teaching their kids nowadays. That $100 likely represents more than their profit on the entire transaction.

dave33

This is exactly NOT what I hope parents are teaching their kids nowadays. That $100 likely represents more than their profit on the entire transaction.
Gotcha, of course no kids are involved so no lesson in morals or ethics is an issue. As far as the stores profit margin is concerned, i'm sure they will get by. Also, let's no forget to admit to a crime always involves the possibility of being charged and arrested.

OHRoadwarrior

Though it had to happen with what I feel is the most cannibalistic retailer out there, somehow, even though I watched two online to store items get scanned upon pickup and showed they were ticketed as I left, I discovered they showed that I had not picked one of the items up. I called the store and advised them they needed to run it through as having been picked up, she said she would note it and have it done. When I looked the next day, instead of running it through, they refunded it as not picked up. I finally called customer service online explained again and they emailed the corp finance office to bill me again. I received an email from them saying they would and the world was in balance again.

Point being, we cannot hold others to a high standard if we do not hold ourselves there also.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">