• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need proof

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the name of your state? Texas I need help my lease is not yet up. but my manager after I called corporate decided that I can leave with no penalties. But they never gave me a form of proof that me and my family can leave. They said that they will fax a form with everything on to the next apartment we live. But I need a proof and they are hesitant to give us anything. I also found out that they garnished our lease. What to do?

FarmerJ

if the LL got a garnishment against you that also means they took you to court and won a civil suit and received a judgment and if you were not in court then they won via default ( your not being there ) So you must have moved out anyway with out any documentation of a deal to let you out of that lease. THE only thing that you might be able to do is if you can prove the LL knew your brand new address and still sued you using a older address there is a chance that you might be able to have the judgment vacated BUT then again the landlord possibly could just do it all over again and sue you again. A alternative is living with it or using the links above to arrange a consultation with a attorney and see if the attorney can offer any other solution.

I decided to stay I went into the office earlier, because they still didn’t want to give me something in writing or approval form to leave without penalties.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
While there are attorneys that provide advice on this forum, they are in the minority. Please read the "IMPORTANT NOTICE" at the bottom of this (and every) page on the forum.

quincy

Reply to the message before that one and tell me if u think I did the right decision.
If you still have a lease with time remaining on it, and the landlord/management refuses to give you anything in writing that says there will be no penalty assessed for you leaving early, you are probably smart to stay until your lease term expires.

But you might want to find an attorney in your area who can personally review your lease, and this “garnishment” you speak of, so you know better where you stand legally.

Ok that’s sound last good
If you still have a lease with time remaining on it, and the landlord/management refuses to give you anything in writing that says there will be no penalty assessed for you leaving early, you are probably smart to stay until your lease term expires.

But you might want to find an attorney in your area who can personally review your lease, and this “garnishment” you speak of, so you know better where you stand legally.
Ok that sounds good. Thanks for the advice. Like I said the agent said our lease was garnished but the manager said that we still are on a lease. The reason they couldn’t give us anything because they said something about if we have apartment damages we could be held responsible. I just need them to give me an extra copy of my lease for some strange reason I can’t find it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">