• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

need some advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

notsurewhy

Rhode Island

I recently received a anonymous letter about knowledge of a relationship I had with another person. The writer of the letter mentioned that this knowledge was obtained while 'investigating' another individual. The person I had the relationship with was/is married and most of the information in the letter is true -- there are some minor discrepancies with details.

The writer of the letter implied that the information would become public, damaging my reputation along with others. I am afraid of the outcome and was wondering if there is anything I can do to protect myself. If some of the information is incorrect and the writer of the letter is revealed, could I sue for slander?

M

mreman

Nope. Guess you better learn not to sleep with married people huh? Minor discrepancies do not make the information false. Saying you were somewhere at 5pm when you were there at 4:55pm is not going to cause them to be libel for anything.

Actually, I guess I am not surprised by this. First you sleep with a married person, THEN you want to sue someone else who found it out!!! Hope this person is Muslim and they take you back to the "old" country for some good old fashioned stoning.

stephenk

other than implying that the information would damage you if revealed, did the letter ask that you do, pay or say anything to anyone?

N

notsurewhy

stephenk said:
other than implying that the information would damage you if revealed, did the letter ask that you do, pay or say anything to anyone?
just informed me to be prepared for the fallout in the upcoming months. not even sure what that means...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">