• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need some advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? California

My daughters biological father was present for her birth but never returned to the hospital to sign her birth certificate or even to pick us up, I waited for hours. The first time he saw her was by accident about 6 weeks after she was born. He then saw her when she was nine months for about an hour. Nothing since then. I the meantime he has married and adopted his wifes son and now they have a daughter of their own. I don't think he would ever come after me to see my daughter but what rights does he have being that he basically abandoned her in the hospital? There has been no payment of support and again he did not sign the birth certificate. Any advice?


Senior Member
Has paternity been established via Affidavit of Paternity or DNA? It sounds as though it hasn't, if that is the case, then he has no rights. However, he can, at any time, petition the courts for DNA testing and then visitation/custody.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential