• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need some help navigating a child support issue.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cwade1970

Hello,

Here is my situation ... I haven't been able to work for almost two years. I'm currently on SSDI and not receiving much per month. Now I do owe the state of Washington about $5300 in back support. At this point, my child is beyond 18 years old and no longer receiving support.

The problem I'm having is this, WA state sent a court order to KS (where I currently live) to collect the back child support. To be perfectly up front, I do owe the back support. I have no problems paying it off in small amounts (I only make $1110 per month from disability).

Here is were it gets confusing ... Washington State sent a court order to KS to force the paybacks. On my first disability payment, they took about $300 off the top to start paying the back support (I received an email from WA stating the money had been applied toward the back amount). That's fine, I can handle that. Now I receive a letter from KS stating they will be taking $666.10 a month on their end to repay the back support. This would be a complete hardship for my wife and myself.

How do I figure out who has jurisdiction in this case (WA or KS)? Right now, it seems like they both do. The first payment that came from SSDI deducting the $300 support and next week received another letter saying they are taking $666.10 per month, which is more than 50% of my total earning from SS.

Hopefully this all made sense. I tend to ramble a bit.

Does anyone have an advise on who to handle something like this? When it comes to things legal, I'm completely lost.

Anyone's help will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank You,
Curtiss

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">