• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

need someone who knows...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? GA

Two questions:

1) If someone signs a consent order pertaining to child custody and visitation, without the advice of an attorney, can that paper be declared invalid? I have heard this to be true, but don't really know if it is or not.

2) If someone were to file for custody and visitation, should they do it in the county in which they live or the county where the defendant lives? If this is done incorrectly, could that be a reason to have the paper declared invalid?

I got pushed into agreeing to a couple of minor details in my current order, and am looking for a way to have the order revised.


Whyte Noise

Senior Member
1.) No. You willingly signed the paper even if you didn't agree to it. If what you are wanting to know were true, then my Georgia divorce decree wouldn't be valid, because I signed it without counsel. I was pro se.

2.) Is there a current custody order in place? If so, then you need to file in the county that issued that order.

You won't have the order "revised" if there's a current one. What you will have to do is file for a "modification". But, you should know that just because you don't agree with the original order, that's not a reason to modify. You have to show a "substantial and continuing change of circumstances" of the children in order to warrant a modification.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential