• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need to know the custody law about phone contact!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

calleemoon

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania I need to know what the law is in regards to a minor child contacting his father via phone/ mail; My son is 5 years old and I let him call his father and write him letters when ever he ask.. well now the fathers new girlfriend told me that I could not send letters there or have my son call the house!! I do not ask to speak with his father at all , I dial the number and then give the phone to him and he ask for his daddy and if he is not there he leaves a message, now she is saying that she will have the number changed if I still let him call. Is this breaking a law by letting my son call and write and also does he have to give me a phone number so that his son can call or in cause of an emergency???

Shay-Pari'e

First, I have to say that I cannot believe that DAD has not put his foot down with her. You are not breaking the law. Your child can call him day or night. She could however, if it is her phone and home ask that your son not call.

Your X needs to grow some balls.

Protect your son from the drama as much as you can.

If it is his home and phone, bye all means have your son call anytime he wants.

I can't imagine any judge putting a restrainging order on a child from calling his dad.

snostar

calleemoon said:
Is this breaking a law by letting my son call and write and also does he have to give me a phone number so that his son can call or in cause of an emergency???
Is there a court order? If so, does it state anything in regards to providing an address/phone or phone contact?

calleemoon

yes we have a custody agreement we are both to keep each other informed of an address change or number change is what it states.

snostar

calleemoon said:
yes we have a custody agreement we are both to keep each other informed of an address change or number change is what it states.
Your son can contiue sending letters and calling, there is no law against calling your parent. If the number is changed and you are not informed then you can file contempt, and he will bell force to provide the new number.

casa

calleemoon said:
What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania I need to know what the law is in regards to a minor child contacting his father via phone/ mail; My son is 5 years old and I let him call his father and write him letters when ever he ask.. well now the fathers new girlfriend told me that I could not send letters there or have my son call the house!! I do not ask to speak with his father at all , I dial the number and then give the phone to him and he ask for his daddy and if he is not there he leaves a message, now she is saying that she will have the number changed if I still let him call. Is this breaking a law by letting my son call and write and also does he have to give me a phone number so that his son can call or in cause of an emergency???
Please answer the question re; whether or not the court order addresses telephone contact between father and son.

Have you spoken to your X directly about his son wanting to call him? Does your X have a cellphone- and if so, have the son call/leave messages on the cellphone instead of the home phone...otherwise you are subjecting your son to disappointment and possibly rude behavior from the g/f.

calleemoon

the court order does not say anything in regards to phone contact and mail... except that we each notify the other in any changes of address and numbers. SO what our son cant call there because the judge did not put it in the order?????

calleemoon

my ex has never said that our son could not call or write him this g/f is really just crazy..... and believes that we should not have any contact with my ex.I really do not know how I should handle the issue.

CJane

calleemoon said:
my ex has never said that our son could not call or write him this g/f is really just crazy..... and believes that we should not have any contact with my ex.I really do not know how I should handle the issue.

Sounds like it's not an issue that you can handle. It's up to dad. If he knows what his girlfriend is doing, and he's ok with it, there's nothing you can do. I would continue having the child call and mail if he wants to, but I would make sure that I was calling and having the initial conversation and THEN giving child the phone if it seems relatively conflict free.

Honestly though, I have to wonder what a 5 year old has to say on the phone anyway. My 5 year old tends to walk around the house with the phone up to her head, babbling about nothing at all and then randomly say "Love you, bye" and lay the phone down somewhere without hanging up. LOL She doesn't care WHO she's talking to, or what about. In the almost 2 years I've been divorced, neither her nor her sister have ever asked to call their father while they're with me, and rarely call me when they're with him.

leeleesmommy

my five year old speaks better than some adults I know :) (HES A TALKER)him and his father are close he was use to seeing him everyday and now he sees him RARELY so when he ask to call his daddy I let him...he tells him about what he did that day...like his music lessons,school,he loves to call and tell him jokes he heard .I NEVER NEVER call my ex. I email if I need to contact him about anything...believe me if my son did not ask I would not bother to call and when his dad leaves a meesage for him I tell him his daddy called and let him choice when to call back... my son does not call daily but usually about twice a week... and the talk for about 10 -15 mintues. I just dont see where she has the right to interfere....when I tell the father that she calls me back telling me not to let ourson call there he says to just ignore her... she calls my home more than our son calls there....I dont want to cme between my son and his father but I cant keep dealing with these liitle girl games she plays with me shes about 9 years younger than I. I want to do whats best for my son and at this point I do not know what that is... :confused:

snostar

leeleesmommy said:
my five year old speaks better than some adults I know :) (HES A TALKER)him and his father are close he was use to seeing him everyday and now he sees him RARELY so when he ask to call his daddy I let him...he tells him about what he did that day...like his music lessons,school,he loves to call and tell him jokes he heard .I NEVER NEVER call my ex. I email if I need to contact him about anything...believe me if my son did not ask I would not bother to call and when his dad leaves a meesage for him I tell him his daddy called and let him choice when to call back... my son does not call daily but usually about twice a week... and the talk for about 10 -15 mintues. I just dont see where she has the right to interfere....when I tell the father that she calls me back telling me not to let ourson call there he says to just ignore her... she calls my home more than our son calls there....I dont want to cme between my son and his father but I cant keep dealing with these liitle girl games she plays with me shes about 9 years younger than I. I want to do whats best for my son and at this point I do not know what that is... :confused:

If you have a legal question please start your own thread.

flygrl

I have the same situation with my X's new wife.

It is sorry indeed when the Dad does not stand up to these women and let them know that their children are important parts of their lives. I can't imagine letting any man treat my children that way. He would be gone so fast he wouldn't even know how he left the house!!!

CVG

haiku

leeleesmommy said:
I did post my question...(need to know laws on phone contact) I was responding to someones reply to me :) :)
leeleemommy, this thread was begin by some one called "caleemoon".

if you are using two nicknames, you may want to stop that because it is very confusing and makes it hard to answer your questions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">