• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need to move out of state.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



This is a question with part of the answer needed from GA law and part from MI law.

I am trying to move out of the state of Michigan to the state of Arkansas for work. I have sole physical custody of my two children, but their mother is fighting me tooth and nail on the move. My Kids and I have been living with my fiance for almost 2 years, and we have been out of work since october of last year. My fiance and I have both found employment in Hot Springs Arkansas and the income increase would be in excess of 70,000 a year. The court is bucking me on this move saying it is not a significant increase in the situation of the children to warrant the move.

#1 How is it constitutional for the court to tell me where I can live with my children that I have custody of.

#2 I was given permission 2 years ago to move to GA with the kids. That permission is still in effect and I can go there whenever I want. Does anyone know how long it takes in GA for the court there to have jurisdiction over a child custody case, and does the GA court system have any statutes pertaining to parents moving out of the state with their childre.

I have been fighting this for months now and the employers and homeowners that are waiting on us are getting rather impatient. I dont know how much longer they are going to hold our jobs and our house. Any help would be greatly appriciated.


Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential