• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Needing Council on a soon to be child custody case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jameslgrantham

About 15 weeks ago I found out that my girlfriend the time was pregnant we were together we were living together I wasn’t on the lease because I was still paying rent another place Incase a situation like this happened. After finding out that she was pregnant I stop paying rent there so I can help pay bills at her house and be there for the pregnancy. Thanks took a turn for the worst, we were split up and I was kicked out. She was well aware that I had no place to go since I am not from Louisiana and I was stuck homeless and currently still am, I’ve been sleeping on couches for almost a week. I’ve applied for theee different apartments and have been denied by one and the other that was supposed to be income-based is to expensive for me to be able to pay it and help support a child. I have not gotten word from the last one yet. The mother will not communicate with me in any form she has my number blocked and all social media accounts blocked. I’ve tried to reach out to her I’ve reached out to her mother to try to get information about the pregnancy and I’m left in the dark. I have the opportunity to move back home so that I have a place to live and can start saving money to help with my child. I’m concerned that if I do that she will take me to court for full custody saying that I abandoned her during pregnancy, what steps or actions do I need to take too ensure that if we do go to court I have a fighting chance?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Well..... you will need to establish paternity (and I would strongly suggest a DNA test), first. Hate to tell you, between that and the time it takes to actually get to court and/or get a decision, Mom will have established status quo as the primary caregiver, and so will most likely retain primary custody of the infant. If you don't live close by, it will be difficult for you to get the parenting time schedule that would be best for the child - frequent, shorter time spans that will provide good bonding opportunities.

You actually have no responsibility to her (your ex g/f) at this point. So your "abandoning" her is irrelevant. Conversely, she has no obligation to keep you informed. How will you know when the child is born if you live in a different state?

Jameslgrantham

I only intend to go home for a short amount of time. Since this all came so abruptly is the only reason I’ve even considered it. So, just so I’m clear. It will not be held against me if we aren’t speaking during the pregnancy? I have friends who are close with both of us and know the situation who I can trust 100%. Once the time got closer I would move back. If I choose to go back to MO I already have a job lined up so I can start making money right away. I’ve also spoken with my current job about the situation and have been Guaranteed my job back on paper through the HR office.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Nope - your relationship with Mom is irrelevant. Of course, there is nothing that says she cannot move out of LA (or just out of town) or that requires her to give you contact information.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">