• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neglectful Doctor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Shay1987

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts
My father was prescribed Crestor for high cholesterol by his doctor over 2 1/2 years ago. According to Crestor's site, my father should have been given different tests before being prescribed the strongest statin on the market. He also should have been put on a diet/exercise routine. After three weeks of taking this statin drug, my father began to have joint and muscle pain and weakness throughout his body. He contacted his doctor immediately and was taken off of the drug. His doctor barely spent more than ten minutes with him at his follow up appointments and didn't help him with the pain. He kept being told that it would go away, so we just waited..
My father owns his own business and has been unable to work because of his pain. He has been to many other doctors for more opinions, which resulted in a large amount of medical bills, which he hasn't been able to afford to pay.
Sooo many more people are suffering with pain caused by these stain drugs that deplete the CoQ10 enzyme throughout the body. Doctors need to be aware of this and help their patients more. I am so upset with his doctor and I think we have no choice but to find a lawyer that will take our case. We have looked into class action suits against Crestor, but barely any lawyers are wanting to take the case. I believe this whole matter started with his doctor being neglectful.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

ecmst12

All medicines have side effects. It is not neglectful to prescribe a medicine that is not specifically contraindicated in that particular patient (for example, known conflict with a medicine he is already taking, or another condition he has). The blood tests recommended are for liver function, and whether they were performed or not, would not have predicted the reaction he had in his muscles.

Unexplained muscle pain or weakness is listed as a 'rare but serious side effect' and the package information warned of this possibility before he ever took it (he is responsible to read the information that comes with his prescriptions before deciding to take it) and he chose to take it anyway. Experiencing a known risk/side effect of a medicine or procedure does not indicate any negligence on anyone's part, just bad luck.

My web searches found a condition called rhabdomyolysis is associated (rarely) with use of statins. If this diagnosis has not yet been explored, I would suggest he ask his doctor about it, or find another doctor willing to test him for it. This may not be what's causing his problem, but it should be addressed since it can be serious.

lealea1005

How long was it between the time your Father started taking Crestor and the time he began having symptoms?

Blood work for a CPK (creatine phosphokinase), which is a muscle enzyme, and serum Potassium should have been obtained when your father first complained of generalized muscle aching/joint stiffness after taking the statin.

I agree that your father needs to find another Physician who is willing to look into his complaints. He should bring copies of all his medical records with him.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Shay1987

I am not necessarily saying his doctor was neglectful because of his prescription, but of how he treated him... He didn't help the situation and barely spent anytime with him. He didn't even attempt to try and figure out what was going on.:mad:

My Dad began taking Crestor and within three weeks began having the muscle pain and weakness. He immediately saw his doctor and was taken off of the medication. It has been almost three years.

lya

I am not necessarily saying his doctor was neglectful because of his prescription, but of how he treated him... He didn't help the situation and barely spent anytime with him. He didn't even attempt to try and figure out what was going on.:mad:

My Dad began taking Crestor and within three weeks began having the muscle pain and weakness. He immediately saw his doctor and was taken off of the medication. It has been almost three years.
You just answered your own question. The physician responded appropriately; thus, no act of negligence/malpractice.

The physician is not required to foresee the future or accurately predict which patient will be one of the rare patients who develops this type of condition/side effect.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">